The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS FCD - Good Idea or not?

TimH

I have an HKS FCD on my supe TT, and she seems, after some testing today, to be pushing 1.2 bar max.... I have been told that an FCD is not a good idea, is this right? or what do I need to be careful of with one on?

If i understand an FCD correctly it allows me to use more boost than the ecu normally allows, what are the dangers if any and what would you suggest doing? remove or keep?

:thanks:

The FCD is required to run anymore than stock boost.

The HKS FCD is regarded as ok, but not the best because it removes the cut entirely. The TRL version however simply raises the boost cut limit up to about 18.5Psi I believe, so if something goes major t!ts up there is still a cut off limit :)

You only need a Boost cut defencer if you are decatted or have an (urgh!) bleed valve fitted.

As Skyjawa says - the TRL unit is a better safety measure as it has a boost cut at 1.25 bar (Beyond 1.2 bar is generally consdiered as the danger area for jap turbo's). These units are peanuts to buy (less than £100) so is a very worthwhile mod.

Tim, to get 1.2bar the car will have had some modifications done.

Does it still have any cats in? If not, is there a restrictor ring fitted? What boost are you seeing during WOT driving - is it a constant 1.2 bar? Do you have any boost controller?

Just reading through the bumf I got with the car TDI performance have done the following (or the following parts have been installed):

JZA80 Front Pipe

FCD

Toyota Cam cover breather pipe small and large

HKS surefire plugs

SPF JZA80

There are other bits and pieces (like HKS Super Dragger exhaust) but it seems the cats were removed, I am taking her to the local Ipswich place on Sat to get them to have a look and tell me for sure. I am (as I said) slowly amassing information to help me pose better, more intelligant questions so bear with me :D

Tim,

JZA80 Front Pipe - JZA80 is the model number for a Jap car so this means nothing. It might mean the front cat has been replaced, but it could mean anything else!

FCD - This is the HKS FCD, as mentioned before not really a good idea for a jap car on stock turbo's, the Thor unit s much better suited.

Toyota Cam cover breather pipe small and large - These normally have to be replaced when the plugs are changed (they get brittle after a few years), they cost £2 or so and are not a performance mod.

HKS surefire plugs - Never heard of them, did they state what grade or gap they were? (If the car has a decat then you need a colder grade plug and lower gap to avoid misfire.

SPF JZA80 - No idea what this mean, maybe someone else knows?

Is there anyone experienced with Supra's in your area, taking it to a general garage isn't going to help you.

Tim,

JZA80 Front Pipe - JZA80 is the model number for a Jap car so this means nothing. It might mean the front cat has been replaced, but it could mean anything else!

FCD - This is the HKS FCD, as mentioned before not really a good idea for a jap car on stock turbo's, the Thor unit s much better suited.

Toyota Cam cover breather pipe small and large - These normally have to be replaced when the plugs are changed (they get brittle after a few years), they cost £2 or so and are not a performance mod.

HKS surefire plugs - Never heard of them, did they state what grade or gap they were? (If the car has a decat then you need a colder grade plug and lower gap to avoid misfire.

SPF JZA80 - No idea what this mean, maybe someone else knows?

Is there anyone experienced with Supra's in your area, taking it to a general garage isn't going to help you.

Yes JohnB is near me, I am hoping he will help... The garage I am taking it to is a performance one with experience of Supra's so should be able to help. The list I provided was just typed straight from the sheets, I wasn't implying I didn't know what most of the stuff was, it was just a list, the FCD worried me as I was talking to some friends and they also advised it was a bad move.

I am learning, be gentle, we all started from somewhere :innocent:

And I thankyou for your patience in my "learning fase" :respekt:

• 1 year later...