The mkiv Supra Owners Club

16.7mpg

JohnA

Just filler her up with 99RON juice (only 2p/lt more than normal Tesco 95RON crap)

200miles --- £44.7, that's terrible

OK, it included 80miles of central london stop-start traffic, but still...

I need to investigate further into this unacceptably bad fuel consumption. I'll know more later this week.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what you're saying dudes, I believe that the supra should be doing 30mpg under easy motorway conditions (say steady 80mph) and low twenties under some stick.

I've got some experiments in mind to see what is the main contributor to this pathetic mpg.

I'll keep you posted.

I don't know what you're saying dudes, I believe that the supra should be doing 30mpg under easy motorway conditions (say steady 80mph) and low twenties under some stick.

I have never gotten anything close to those figures under the conditions mentioned.

Looks like I just proved your figures then John :)

To get the 29.8mpg I stuck religiously to an indicated 80mph apart from 6 miles or so that was non motorway. I should add that I ran it in True Twin. The best I had managed before was the same journey but with the turbos in sequential that gave me just over 28mpg.

I have never gotten anything close to those figures under the conditions mentioned.

Same here.

Driving like a saint I get 26mpg max

Driving like a looney I get 15mpg

Seem to average around 18mpg, but do drive the car fairly hard (mostly motorway journeys).

I did notice a big increase in fuel consumption after the decat, so probably a stock car will get better figures.

When I was geeky and first had the Supra I used to plot graphs using a little prog on my phone, it worked out that my worst was about 8mpg (trackday) and my best around 26mpg - seems fair enough for a silly powered supercar, when economy is an issue I'll buy a diesel clio :)

...when economy is an issue I'll buy a diesel clio :)

Economy is always an issue in my book. It reflects fuel efficiency, proper combustion, which is a GOOD thing.

An engine running rich for no good reason fills itself up with carbon deposits and loses efficiency fast. Even the valve clearances vary with such deposits, you could end up with burnt valves when a clean engine might have got away with it.

Once the wideband is hooked up I'll know more, and once the new OEM O2 sensor is hooked I'll know even more.

I'll then see if I can feed the ECU with the signal from the WB and see if that further helps matters (it's worked for me in the past)

To get the 29.8mpg I stuck religiously to an indicated 80mph apart from 6 miles or so that was non motorway. I should add that I ran it in True Twin. The best I had managed before was the same journey but with the turbos in sequential that gave me just over 28mpg.

Aye, that's what I'd expect from a car with the weight and aerodynamics of the supra.

I'm going up to Scotland in about a month, and I want this mpg issue resolved by then. I just HATE inefficiency, if I wanted this I would have bought an RX7 :limp:

I went to Cornwall last week, did almost 200 miles at less than 90mph, pretty much off boost (nervous gf) on half a tank. At Siverstone track day, I got less than 2 miles/ltre!

Have to say, Im happy to get under 10mpg IF the afr's are good at this consumption, means lots of ponys!

.... Have to say' date=' Im happy to get under 10mpg IF the afr's are good at this consumption, means lots of ponys![/quote']

Eeeeerrrr....it's actually the other way round ;)

This level of richness virtually guarantees loss of power.

Eeeeerrrr....it's actually the other way round

This level of richness virtually guarantees loss of power.

B'have's is on a single....so using so much fuel does mean he's getting power back in return as you have to use more fuel to make more power...more air too!

Town driving does knacker the fuel economy thanks to the sequential's first turbo. It's so quick to spin up that you end up using boost round town far too easily.

Think I had as little at 8mpg out of my old '93 TT on a thrash, not spanked the VVTi single enough to compare/cringe.

Look HERE

what was the age of your O2 sensor at the time John?

I suspect that it will have a major effect, but won't know how much until I've changed mine and have before/after figures.

Your numbers do indicate though that my mpg expectations are realistic.

I went to Cornwall last week' date=' did almost 200 miles at less than 90mph, pretty much off boost .... Have to say, Im happy to get under 10mpg IF the afr's are good at this consumption, means lots of ponys![/quote']

Yeah but it's only a 3.0 engine. With this sort of fuel quantities going through it at low/part throttle the AFRs wont' be correct, will they?

So we're still doing circles and doughnuts in our logic... :drown: :)

Yeah but it's only a 3.0 engine. With this sort of fuel quantities going through it at low/part throttle the AFRs wont' be correct, will they?

So we're still doing circles and doughnuts in our logic... :drown: :)

Charlie wasn't saying he was getting 10mpg on cruise! He was saying he doesn't mind what the fuel consumption is AS LONG AS the AFR's are right.

Sod the fuel consumption.....I love my supra......I will chop it in for a Deisel when im worried about this.....

dont forget a supra is a high performance engine with 2 turbos its not really built for economy........

I say forget worrying and enjoy the drive, life's to short to worry John just enjoy it