The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some wheel help (I've decided.. I think)

Jay

Right, i've decided on the wheels I want....I think.

I'm going back to my first choice of iForged Aero's now that they have a good UK supplier, and have been given two packages to choose from:

19s

Fronts: 9.5" - 265/30/19

Rears: 12" - 315/25/19

With Yokohama's all round.

20s

Fronts: 10" - 275/30/20

Rears: 12" - 305/25/20

With Continental's all round.

Now I know the purists are going to hate me for even considering putting 20s on her, but I have always been a sucker for filled arches - however if there is a real risk of things like steering pumps/racks not being able to handle it, or significant handling problems (I can cope with a bit of tramlining) that puts the car at risk then I am all ears as to the reasons I should stick to 19s.

I'd be grateful if the people that have experience of the differences could comment, rather than random speculations as to whats right or wrong for the Supra!

Mandy and Jason, you guys are the only ones I think I know that are running 20s, anything you'd like to add? Ibrar/Dusty, fitted any 20s to customers cars, particularly TRD widebodies?

I need to make a choice and get them ordered as theres a 6 week wait to endure, so your comments are appreciated!

(pics are a widebody with 19" Aero's - 13" on the rear though I believe! :scare:

Cheers,

J

suprawide1.jpg

suprawide2.jpg

Jeez, I wouldn't like to see the tyre bill - over £1300 for the 19s I'm guessing!

The Iforged are a nice wheel though, personally I'd stick with 19s - they'll be big enough. You are going to get rubbing on your arches at certain times doesn't matter what size wheels tyres with 12" wheels and 10" on the front.

Regards,

Gaz.

Hey Gaz,

Thanks for the comment mate :) Actually, the Tyre's are nowhere near that bad, even for 20's! I wouldn't mind finding out where they get their supply from for future reference!

So you think the width will be the problem, not the wheel size? The cars being resprayed shortly, I could have some suitable work done to accomodate the extra width while this is being done. What do I need to look at doing?

Thats good then cos I think the 18s x10 & x12 are at least a grand!

Width is the problem, when you get a sharp dip in the road and the suspension cant keep up so fast the tyre will hit the arch. Depends which suspension you go for and what you do with the arches!

You'll basically need to see if you have any metal you can trim/roll away from inside the arch - depends how your TRD kit was fitted :)

Gaz.