The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK vs Jap spec turbo pics?

JohnA

Guest Terry S
John - not the whole story as there are also variations in the Jap spec turbos fitted as std

Will find the link / info when I have a mo to trawl

Yes - pre VVTI I seem to recall - but will have to find it

I never knew that Paul, please tell us more if you find it.

I always thought it was strange there was no difference in the facelift or VVTi turbo's compared with the original, thought they would have updated the wheels as technology moved on...but I too ain't seen anything about the turbo's being different.

Guest Terry S
John - not the whole story as there are also variations in the Jap spec turbos fitted as std

Will find the link / info when I have a mo to trawl

Any news on this Paul??

Cant find the article dammit - but it refers to Toyota using variation in parts in the ceramic turbos - something about CT20 internals?

Speaking to both Turbo Dynamics and Turbo Developments both have found (when opening unstripped turbos) variations in the CT12 B (ceramic) turbos i.e. come with the same external features but sometimes come with different sized (CT20?) internals - journals sizes/wheels - and sometimes different compressors wheels

As an aside - Turbo Dynamics commented they have found that approx one in 10 imports have come in with steel internals too

It would make sense for Toyota to use up excess stock as they both fit the same housings - wonder if it makes a difference to the longetivity?