The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi Stall Torque Converters ......again

Justin

I mean of the uprated Dude & monkeymark type variety.

I am seriously considering one and selling my NOS.

I am worried though that it turns the car into an uncontrollable wheel spinning beast. Also there is a fair amount of rain in this country so the two would probably end my Surpa club membership.

I don't want to fork out for RLTC.

Can anyone whos got a TC fitted give me their experiences and opinions on them. I'm thinking of a 3800.

I'm not worried about the drag strip as I have slicks for that but am worried about street driving and roundabouts.

Ideally I'd like a test drive but Dude is not really available just now.

Cheers

Justin

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bearing in mind we bought the car with big twins already fitted, in my opinion it was the best mod we ever did & best value for money mod too, but I don't know how much the benefit may be felt on a car that was closer to stock.

As for controlling it - if your right foot is capable of placing the accelerator pedal in more than 2 positions then you will take to it like a duck to water.

So what TC stall rating do I need if you look at my peak power settings on my charts?

Use the chart without NOS for reference as NOS will come off the car to pay for the TC.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=16897

Justin, I think you are missing the point here. The stall of the TC is not relevant to the BHP or Torque on those graphs. People change to a higher stall TC to overcome the problem of lag that is associated with single conversions as the higher stall TC allows the engine to rev longer before fully enganging the g/box and therefore build up to positive boost quicker.

Looking at what you said earlier, it seems you are running hybrid twins and therefore, should not be experiencing the lag of a single.

HTH

I don't know if that's quite true, Col. Look at the huge improvemnt MonkeyMark made in his ¼ mile time after fitting a HiStall TC. They allow even a std auto Supra to get off the line MUCH quicker because the stock auto TC won't rev past 2000rpm in Drive at a standstill.

I don't know if that's quite true, Col. Look at the huge improvemnt MonkeyMark made in his ¼ mile time after fitting a HiStall TC. They allow even a std auto Supra to get off the line MUCH quicker because the stock auto TC won't rev past 2000rpm in Drive at a standstill.

Good point Jake. Ah well, it is not the first time I have spouted a load of bollocks on this board :cry:

Good point Jake. Ah well, it is not the first time I have spouted a load of bollocks on this board :cry:

I aint saying a thing Col....lol

One point to make is that you also really consider an oil cooler for the transmission, if it revs more the oil will get hotter.

Dave :shrug:

Col my 1st turbo has huge lag. This is why I can't get any 60fts under 2.1 secs and why I think the TC is going to help me.

My understanding was that I can do a power brake start revving up to 3800 before I let off the brake and launch. Bypassing the lag of the first turbo and having more torque going through the wheels at the most critical part of the 1/4 mile? Is that wrong?

Dave, yup I've already made enquiries about the transmission cooler and will fit one at the same time cheers for the pointer though.

I already have an engine oil cooler fitted.

Is there a certain type and make of transmission cooler that everybody uses on here?

Cheers for all yer input chaps.

Justin, looking at your torque curve (without nitrous) I'd go for a TC of at least 3000rpm.

For really fast launces you'd really want one just over 4K (catching the second 'hump') but that would make the car noisier and less easy to drive everyday.

Plus you'd need a couple of extra transmission rads.

Toyota matched the stock TC to the torque curve of the stock twins of course, and tried to keep the rpm level low so reliability doesn't suffer.

Cheers John.

So somewhere between a 3200 and 3800? Do you think the 3800 would be a bit too hot and fiesty?

This is the make Monkeymark has got I think. (Prescision Industries)

http://www.converter.com/dragon.htm

Oh and CJ read this http://www.converter.com/q4.htm. There is also no mention of using orange paint to get better performance you will notice :nyah:

Justin,

Consider the drivetrain stress if you launch at max torque etc...it might be worth going slightly lower giveing the drivetrain a second to get going before releasing all the hounds.

I'd say 3400-3600...

my understanding of hi-stalls isnt great either but wont fitting a lock up switch solve the everyday driving situation? keeping trans. temps down? i'll be fitting my 4000 stall shortly and info on the lock up switch would be helpful

my understanding of hi-stalls isnt great either but wont fitting a lock up switch solve the everyday driving situation? keeping trans. temps down? i'll be fitting my 4000 stall shortly and info on the lock up switch would be helpful

Let us know how you get on Lee. Is the lock up switch supposed to put the stall back down to stock 2000 rpm?

Guest Terry S
What's the technical/quality difference between a BL and a PI converter Tel?

I doubt there is much if any difference, most seem to come from PI but certain people use slightly different specs ( or at least colours)

• 1 month later...