PDA

View Full Version : Might be stupid questions, but..

Steve Gee
08-10-01, 18:13
I have under my passenger seat, a black box.
It has no markings whatsoever.
It has a number of wires coming from it, which could be audio cables but I'm not sure.
It is approx 12"x8"x1", so it's quite slim.
Any ideas anyone.

ALSO:
I have found a microswitch in the centre console storage compartment.
No matter whether it's on or off, it doesn't seem to do anything, nothing happens. Car still starts, etc,..
Any ideas, before I start taking things apart to trace it.

Cheers
Steve

Nick
08-10-01, 18:26
If you still have the factory stereo it's probably an amp, my last MKIV had one.  I can't remember how many wires came form the unit though.

The switch could be anything, perhaps a crude immobliser???

Phil Wall
08-10-01, 19:18
I had a switch like that fitted to an  alarm once. It was  to disable the auto close feature when the alarm was activated.

Just a thought.

Might even be to trun the light off in the ash tray.:biggrin:

GavinL
08-10-01, 19:24
Quote:

What light!  :biggrin:

Paul Booth
08-10-01, 19:25
Quote: from Steve Gee on 6:13 pm on Oct. 8, 2001[br]I have under my passenger seat, a black box.
It has no markings whatsoever.
It has a number of wires coming from it, which could be audio cables but I'm not sure.
It is approx 12"x8"x1", so it's quite slim.
Any ideas anyone.

ALSO:
No matter whether it's on or off, it doesn't seem to do anything, nothing happens. Car still starts, etc,..

Cheers
Steve

The box is definitely your slave amp. The switch is anyone's guess.

Phil Wall
08-10-01, 19:29
Quote: from GavinL on 7:24 pm on Oct. 8, 2001[br]
Quote:

What light! ^:biggrin:

Pleaee dont start that one again!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Eric Kasir
08-10-01, 19:35
Quote: from Phil Wall on 7:29 pm on Oct. 8, 2001[br]
Quote: from GavinL on 7:24 pm on Oct. 8, 2001[br]
Quote:

What light! ^:biggrin:

Pleaee dont start that one again!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

I didn't know the MKIV had an ashtray light :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'll get me coat.......

(Edited by Eric Kasir at 7:36 pm on Oct. 8, 2001)

Paul
08-10-01, 19:41
LIGHT!! Who said light.
Mines got one :cool:

Paul 95UKTT FBI (fag butt illumination)

Martin F
08-10-01, 20:32
Eureka!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen the light. http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/censored.gif

Oh dear yet again a technical thread on a tangent.

(Edited by Martin F at 8:37 pm on Oct. 8, 2001)

Digsy
09-10-01, 09:23
Steve,

I've never seen the stock slave amp, but I do know that under the passenger seat is the favourite location for it.

Your box does, however, match the general description of what I thought was a Satnav system which I had removed by JIC (but I kept the bits).

Upon closer inspection it turns out that my car had a complete media suite installed (including satnav) , and the black box was the TV tuner, and input for all the various media sources. It is a modular Panasonic system for use in Japan only. When imported, my car had a porcupine array of TV aerials on the tailgate which had to be removed for the SVA, plus a GPS receiver on the roof.

The mircoswitch: Is is a push on / push off switch with three wires coming from it? If so, it may be an override for your radio frequency shifter if you have one fitted. The one installed by JIC had a switch on a long fyling lead that they just switched on and then tucked away in the centre console. I found it when I fitted my Kenwood MP3 player.

HTH.

Paul Booth
09-10-01, 10:43
Quote: from Darren Blake on 9:23 am on Oct. 9, 2001[br]Steve,

I've never seen the stock slave amp, but I do know that under the passenger seat is the favourite location for it.

Your box does, however, match the general description of what I thought was a Satnav system which I had removed by JIC (but I kept the bits).

HTH.

*It's the slave amp*. It's where it goes, it's what it looks like, it's the right colour and it's the right dimensions.

If it smells like a fish, swims like a fish and has scales, guess what....

Alex
09-10-01, 10:46
its a monkey?

Digsy
09-10-01, 11:04
Of course it's the slave amp - I didn't mean to sound as if I was disagreeing with anyone. :-)However I just wanted to point out that there could be alternatives. My box also matches that description, but is *definitely* not the slave amp, or a fish for that matter.

Paul Booth
09-10-01, 11:36
Quote: from Darren Blake on 11:04 am on Oct. 9, 2001[br]Of course it's the slave amp - I didn't mean to sound as if I was disagreeing with anyone. :-)However I just wanted to point out that there could be alternatives. My box also matches that description, but is *definitely* not the slave amp, or a fish for that matter.

Then it's *most probably* a fish, I mean slave amp.

eyefi
09-10-01, 17:28
Quote: from Steve Gee on 6:13 pm on Oct. 8, 2001[br]

ALSO:

Cheers
Steve

i've got one of them switches in my tt aero auto, i need to know what it does (or did)

Steve Gee
12-11-01, 17:25
Thanks for all the replies.

The box is indeed my amp. 2 points if you got it right.

The microswitch changes the FM frequencies bands on the radio. Award yourself 5 bonus points for a correct answer.

Cheers

Simon
12-11-01, 21:00
Not just any fish, but a Babel Fish.

eyefi
12-11-01, 21:49
where else could u find out what that little annoying microswitch is for!!

nice one darren. ta