The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Imports??

Guest paperboy

Guest paperboy

Hey all,

Am I correct in thinking that all jap imports now have to be standard in order to get through the sva (pre 97 cars only) and post 97 cars need to have also an esva (and hence a model report)??

Not quite.

The car must match the model report as you say for ESVA - which means as standard.

Any pre 97 car must simply pass the standards set by SVA. It doesn't have to be returned to standard - although this may increase your chances of passing of course.

Unless it's over 10 years old in which case no SVA

A TIF member imported a '96 VVTi single-turbo Soarer with non-standard suspension, instruments, and turbo, and to get it past the ESVA inspector they had to do a complete engine / turbo / suspension swap (with a earlier TT Soarer... go figure).

A quote from the thread on TIF:

"Bad news. It failed. On none of the things mentioned before. Do these guys make it up as they go along? Long live this very useful SVA. The whole engine has to be reduced to factory spec. Goodbye aftermarket turbo, headers, intercooler, suspension, and anything else they saw that didn't look standard. Besides which the car is too long with the Vertex nose kit on!"

Maybe it depends on the inspector and test centre?

I can see a point in a comprehensive check rather than just an MOT, inconvenient though it is.

Given the low numbers involved, I can't really see the point of the "model report" system, which was introduced because the EU introduced higher safety standards (which are higher than Japanese requirements) in 1997.

I can see no point at all for failing cars because they have modifications that are not illegal for road use.

(That last sentence isn't strictly true. I can't see the point, but I can see the government's point. I think that the SVA is just ahead of the Contructon and Use regulations, and that modifications will be illegal sooner or later, or rather very tightly controlled. You only have to look at other European countries or Australia to see where we are headed.)

Others may say Model Reports were an attempt to reduce the numbers of imports entering the country to stop the car manufacturers/dealers complaining.

Surely not! Any such suggestion would be a vile and contemptible slur on the good name of a fine group of men who are concerned only with ensuring maximum benefit to the consumer.

(Do we have a "tongue firmly in cheek" smiley? :D )

The whole model report issue is based around emissions not on what mods are on the car. With an SVA test it is on the mods. you cannot even take a car through with a modified bumper - has to be completly standard.

There is a new centre being opened shortly which should put all these discussions behind us.