The mkiv Supra Owners Club

can a supra TT take high miles?

Guest AKsupra

Guest AKsupra

Right, I currently have a seat Leon cupra R and do 25k plus miles a year (work miles), with it being a new car and the servicing being cheap it doesn’t bother me... but with the misses passing her test soon (hopefully) I was thinking of selling the cupra give her 2k for a small family car and that will leave the rest to me, for a supra TT.. do you think I'm stupid putting 25k+ miles a year on a oldish high performance car? Will this bankrupt me??

I'll probably have about 8k to play with :p

Cheers for any info.. :thanks:

Guest AKsupra

so if well looked after the engines are pretty but bullit proof? I know fuel will be a kill but that dosen't bother me its just the reailibtly issue, if something goes pop will I be hit with stupidly high repair costs?

You will spend almosdt the value of the car for a years worth of petrol doing that mileage. Not being funny but if you can only afford 8K for a car, 7K in petrol seems a bit of a hit.

Unless of course your company pay, then it's a slightly different story. :cool:

As Bobbeh said, should be OK as long as basic servicing is carried out regularly. Look for a car that has evidence of this being done in the past too. Most car engines will keep going for ages if you look after them. I have a Rover Metro with over 150,000 miles on the clock. OK, it's given me grief in the last year and the rust is gonne kill it shortly, but the engine itself still runs sweetly.

so if well looked after the engines are pretty but bullit proof? I know fuel will be a kill but that dosen't bother me its just the reailibtly issue, if something goes pop will I be hit with stupidly high repair costs?

depends what goes pop......if the turbos's go or you melt a piston your looking at a heafy payout to get it repaired......small things like tyres, replacing cat's (on older cars) suspension etc should be ok.....maybe a touch more than what you would pay on your current car

Agree with bobbeh though with those kind of miles your looking at around maybe £60-70 a week on petty

Guest AKsupra
Yes they're bulletproof like 99% of Toyotas, unless you start botching your any modifications you may decide to put on :)

Were you thinking about a TT or NA?

ok cool :D if I do go for one it'll be a TT

Guest AKsupra
depends what goes pop......if the turbos's go or you melt a piston your looking at a heafy payout to get it repaired......small things like tyres, replacing cat's (on older cars) suspension etc should be ok.....maybe a touch more than what you would pay on your current car

Agree with bobbeh though with those kind of miles your looking at around maybe £60-70 a week on petty

Ok sounds good so far :) fuel isn't a proablem (my company pays for fuel) I'm spending about 50-60 quid in the cupra now anyway...

Guest chiefvinso

My old man says to me if you want a performance car you have to pay performance prices (fuel, parts etc.) If something does happen to go you should be prepared for the costs but like the others say if well cared for its a reliable unit.

I spend that doing 12K a year.

When I had mine I was doing 120+ miles a day in it. It cost me around £50 in petrol every other day! Servicing was every 6 to 8 weeks doing those sort of miles too. Rear tyres would last 6 - 8 months. Insurance company charged more because of the miles I was doing.

However, in the 2.5 years I owed the car it was never off the road once. It wasn't stock either, see the link in my signature for details of the mods.

When I had mine I was doing 120+ miles a day in it. It cost me around £50 in petrol every other day! Servicing was every 6 to 8 weeks doing those sort of miles too. Rear tyres would last 6 - 8 months. Insurance company charged more because of the miles I was doing.

However, in the 2.5 years I owed the car it was never off the road once. It wasn't stock either, see the link in my signature for details of the mods.

So you spent £8,750 in petrol annually? Or are you telling porkies? Or are you loaded?:shrug: You always looked a bit of a gypo :clap:

Are you and Genna married yet by the way? :love:

I wouldnt have said that, loads of people have 2nd hand turbos lying about now, that Im sure you could get for £100-£150......I certainally wouldnt be expecting to pay any more then that for stocks now days.....and its usually turbos 8/10....

So you spent £8,750 in petrol annually? Or are you telling porkies? Or are you loaded?:shrug: You always looked a bit of a gypo :clap:

Are you and Genna married yet by the way? :love:

Ask my local Shell petrol station, they've nearly gone bust now I've sold the Supe and got an diesel chugger. :) No I'm not loaded... the main reason being I spent so much on the car! Now it's gone I'm having to spend it all on the house instead.

No plans to get married just yet. If Genna had her way then it would be tomorrow. I'd like to get the house sorted, get a replacement Supra, get some savings built up, have a holiday, then maybe start thinking about saving for a wedding! :p