The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Grazer's 3 spoke alloy wheels have gone!!! Hooray!!!!

Dino V

How much better does it look without those jap advan 3 spokes???  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How much better does it look without those jap advan 3 spokes???

• Doesn't look better at all in my opinion
    • Hmm, About the same
    • Aye, i suppose it looks a bit better
    • Damn! those rims are lookin fine! - what sort of fool leaves 3 spokes on anyway?

Hi folks!

Just got back from ibiza, am f**ked now! was well cool though! :music:

Thought some of you that new Grazer's car when he had it would look like once i've got me mits on it!

I've promptly removed the front centre mounted reg, changed the back and got rid of those unsightly jap 3 spokers for some deep dish hi-power silver 18" Ace Aviator's - not bad for £893 with tyres! - from wheelbase in oldham.

Oh car is performing great now, no hesitation whatsoever since i got rid of them old sparkies.

Next i need to get rid of those orange blobs for some nice clear one's.

Where's the best place to get some and how easy are they to fit?

:thanks:

supra05.JPG

Picture 024.jpg

Picture 018.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

supra08.JPG

Picture 021.jpg

I fitted my facelift indicators today, got them from Nic's group buy :)

They were quite straightforward to fit, but involved a bit of soldering and taking the headlights out etc... today was the first time I'd done it and it was time consuming but not too hard :)

There's a how to on here somewhere... do a search for "removing headlight" and it'll show up :thumbs:

Guest supraiggy

Congrats on getting rid of 3 spoke wheels! I never thought that could be achieved. :p

Those rims of yours are fairly ugly IMO, sorry. But you get extra extra points on the fact that they are far more functional than you might even know. The reason why the pattern looks like that is to force more air through the wheel well as you're driving. This provides more cool air to your brakes, cooling them down providing for better braking and less fade.

I didnt see these wheels available in any after market form before but I have seen them on some Toyota and Lexus concept cars. Though your wheels might not force as much air as the designs I've seen they will still aid braking. So 10/10 for functionality, 6/10 for aesthetics :).

EDIT: But it looks x30 better than any 3 spoke ever made ;).

what width are the wheels, and whats the tyre size? thats a good price for nice wheels

Fronts - 225x40x18

Rears - 255x40x18

The tyres are Kumho's the rears are actually called Kumho Supra's! ??? :confused:

I must admit theyre not quite as grippy as the Goodyear F1's that were on the three spokes, but theyre not miles off.

Congrats on getting rid of 3 spoke wheels! I never thought that could be achieved. :p

Those rims of yours are fairly ugly IMO, sorry. But you get extra extra points on the fact that they are far more functional than you might even know. The reason why the pattern looks like that is to force more air through the wheel well as you're driving. This provides more cool air to your brakes, cooling them down providing for better braking and less fade.

I didnt see these wheels available in any after market form before but I have seen them on some Toyota and Lexus concept cars. Though your wheels might not force as much air as the designs I've seen they will still aid braking. So 10/10 for functionality, 6/10 for aesthetics :).

EDIT: But it looks x30 better than any 3 spoke ever made ;).

Alright fella, shame you don't like them, everyone who has seen the car since the three spokes have come off thinks it looks miles better, and those pics dont really do them justice, i personally love deep dish, chrome style alloys, and considering the limited choice you have due to the Supra's large calipers, and the fact i got brand new 18's with new tyres for under £900, i think i've done pretty well! :thumbs:

With regards to your argument about the pattern of the spokes cooling the alloys, doesn't hold much water i'm afraid! :eek:

The reason being if they were shaped to cool the discs/calipers etc. they would be styled in the same fashion but in reverse for the other side of the car.

The pattern you see on the pics (left hand side of car) is opposite on the driver side of the car (think if you took the front left wheel off and put it on the front right, the pattern of the spokes is opposite - meaning the air cooling effect would be opposite also)

:blahblah: anyway, i'm blabbing now so i'll stop! :D Shame because i would have liked to have thought the wheels did cool the brakes! well maybe they do, but only on the left hand side of the car.............:blahblah:

Guest supraiggy
Alright fella, shame you don't like them, everyone who has seen the car since the three spokes have come off thinks it looks miles better, and those pics dont really do them justice, i personally love deep dish, chrome style alloys, and considering the limited choice you have due to the Supra's large calipers, and the fact i got brand new 18's with new tyres for under £900, i think i've done pretty well! :thumbs:

With regards to your argument about the pattern of the spokes cooling the alloys, doesn't hold much water i'm afraid! :eek:

The reason being if they were shaped to cool the discs/calipers etc. they would be styled in the same fashion but in reverse for the other side of the car.

The pattern you see on the pics (left hand side of car) is opposite on the driver side of the car (think if you took the front left wheel off and put it on the front right, the pattern of the spokes is opposite - meaning the air cooling effect would be opposite also)

:blahblah: anyway, i'm blabbing now so i'll stop! :D Shame because i would have liked to have thought the wheels did cool the brakes! well maybe they do, but only on the left hand side of the car.............:blahblah:

Didnt you hear what I said!? :p They're miles and miles and miles ahead of the 3 spoke, just not my cuppa that's all.

In one part you are right about your wheels, I hadn't taken the time to notice that the pattern is the same on both sides. If they were the real thing then yes you would have left hand side wheels and right hand side wheels. Both would have the same pattern but the blades/veins would go in an anti-clockwise direction on both sides. You have a cheaper aftermarket brand it seems where no such distinction has been made. :shrug:

Still however all that does is reverse the flow of air on one side of the car so instead of going anti-clock wise it would spin clockwise. In essence one side is pushing more cool air to the calipers than the other side. In fact the ones on the passanger side are probably trying to push the air out as opposed to in (due to the shape of the blades). If you imagine a water propeller you would see what I mean.

While this isn't a big or immediate problem you might see that your passanger side pads would have a slightly better lifespan than the driver side ones, furthermore it may impact braking after a pronlonged time but minimally. So your wheels could actually be slightly harmful as they improve one side of the car but negatively impact the other.

On the plus side since this thread started the wheels have slightly grown on me. But only slightly :p.

Didnt you hear what I said!? :p They're miles and miles and miles ahead of the 3 spoke, just not my cuppa that's all.

In one part you are right about your wheels, I hadn't taken the time to notice that the pattern is the same on both sides. If they were the real thing then yes you would have left hand side wheels and right hand side wheels. Both would have the same pattern but the blades/veins would go in an anti-clockwise direction on both sides. You have a cheaper aftermarket brand it seems where no such distinction has been made. :shrug:

Still however all that does is reverse the flow of air on one side of the car so instead of going anti-clock wise it would spin clockwise. In essence one side is pushing more cool air to the calipers than the other side. In fact the ones on the passanger side are probably trying to push the air out as opposed to in (due to the shape of the blades). If you imagine a water propeller you would see what I mean.

While this isn't a big or immediate problem you might see that your passanger side pads would have a slightly better lifespan than the driver side ones, furthermore it may impact braking after a pronlonged time but minimally. So your wheels could actually be slightly harmful as they improve one side of the car but negatively impact the other.

On the plus side since this thread started the wheels have slightly grown on me. But only slightly :p.

Maybe youre right, but as you say i think the difference would be minimal and i don't think you would notice a massive difference in wear and tear over a year.

I agree, if the purpose of shaping the spokes was indeed to aid brake cooling, they should have considered that when they made both left and right hand sides, but i suppose for £893 you cant really be too picky!

Has anyone ever heard of an alloy that does actually do this? where both left hand side and right hand side are differently shaped to aid this cooling effect?