The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big single required - suggestions please.

SimonR

I think that I've pushed my ceramic turbos as far as they will realistically go and it looks as though serious power is only going to come by way of a big single. Happily, I have just received a bonus from work which is going to pay for it.

It looks as though the Vortex budget package for the Soarer isn't going to happen so I'm now looking further afield.

I'm looking for 550-600bhp. Reading up on this seems to suggest that it's a trade-off between low spool/boost and big power. Needless to say, I'd like both if anyone can suggest a way of achieving it. This is aimed at drag racing but I'd also like the car to remain streetable.

The engine is a 2.5 litre 1JZ-GTE as sometimes used in the MKIII Supra. I already have an Emanage, Blitz DSBC and Greddy V-SPL. Currently using Supra 440 injectors but they'll probably have to go. I have the offer of a suitable T25 manifold so any turbo that didn't fit would require a different flange to be welded (probably to the manifold?).

Current suggestions from other Soarer owners are GT2835 (nope, not enough power) and GT3040 (nope, too laggy).

Any suggestions for a suitable turbo?

I've made repeated requests about it (both by PM and telephone). I can understand the business perspective if there isn't sufficient demand to justify carrying this forward but it would be nice to be told rather than just kept hanging about :( . I would say that Terry is always helpful, though. :)

I agree, Terry is very helpfull, but when you get someone to help develop the kit for the Soarer, and around 10 peeps have genuine interest, who have made repeated request by phone/email/PM's you would expect some sort of reply, wouldn't you?

Would make great business sense to continue the kit :cool:

Andy

Why dont you talk to Leon at JPS, he has just fitted my PHR Stage 1 Kit. Top quality but I am not sure if they do anything for the Soarer. Have a word with Leon, he is a PHR Dealer.

Everything is pretty much the same as the Supra kit, just a few manifold tweeks, and the engine on the Soarer sits a little back towards the bulk head than the Supra, so carefull hose planning is required due to the bend from the turbo out-let being right next to the strut turrent.

Andy

Aye, whats the script with this Vortex kit, does he not want to sell it :help:

Andy

i have had this experience with Vortex as well i really think them guys need to hire a secretary they'd probably double there turnover, you try and get hold of them and its :tumble:

SImon

Ther eya go mate talk with Leon maybe he WILL reply to your PM's

Oh and Darren yes Terry and Mig ARE very helpful i have spoken to Terry on the phone and met Mig in person as i pick a vortex kit up from him..and couldnt meet a nicer guy...but to think they might have there hands full which maybe the case..dont excuse both of them ignoring pm's on here by several people..and yet they have time to answer Q's...if the kit aint gonna happen then all that is required is a feck off or sorry not going to do it :).

So Paul you might just be right about the secretary thing ;)

Andy

The Vortex budget single took a fair bit of time and effort, both here and in the states to get it right. (even then it's only really for the non-vvti JDM car, but can be adapted to fit all Supra's).

If you think there are 10 people genuinely interested in a Soarer kit, that would be enough to justify making a jig for the modification to the manifold. If you can get 8 people to commit to buy and put down a deposit, I'm sure Mig could set the wheels in motion to get the kit sorted for you guys.

And yes, we are a tad busy at the moment ;) Sorry for any non-replies.

Guest Terry S

Guys this has been left with Mig, but on the last conversation I had with him regarding it there were only 3 people serious about the soarer kit, and having done some number crunching, it is not feasible. If as you say there are a genuine 10 people all willing to give deposits, the excercise does become feasible.

Bedlam, I never received that "Mig" wire BTW.

Thanks guys.

Ok

I dont think Simon ever meant this thread to turn into a lets all shout at Votrex cause they didnt reply to certain peoples PM's or Emails..

But i have to say from the outset..since i am the only one in the UK with the Supra Vortex budget kit on a Soarer...that from the start it was ME who asked Mig about the Supra kit..i was prepared to get a couple mates to alter the budget manifold for me (which they did)...and i was asked by Terry if i was intrested in developing it for the Soarer...which i agreed to do.

I picked up the kit from Miguel down in London took it back and had a couple mate's do the alterations to the manifold (as they own a custom exhaust place).

There are one or two little diffs between the Supra and the Soarer.. 1 of which the engine sits a little more back in the engine bay on the Soarer and a litle lower..so we had to use a 90% silicone hose on the end of the snail and make an odd shaped intercooler pipe to go up to the inner wing..which for someone else to do would prob cost another 100 quid.

The screamer pipe needs a very small alteraton to it (about 1" added to the top section where it bolts onto the wastegate...nothing to hard to have done..and the intecooler pipe which comes from the snail to the inner wing is slightly diff.

The downpipe from the turbo is diff where it would meet the next pipe..but thats nothing it is just a case of either cutting of the bottom flange or having it welded right onto the front pipe where it meets the downpipe..

Now that all sounds like a lot of work but it's about and hours work in any custom exhaust place or workshop..so nothig to hard or expensive..

Matt i think i remember talking with either Miguel or Terry on numbers about the kit and i am sure 4 or 5 people was mentioned at the time to make it feasible for the kit to be altered to suit the Soarer ( i would have to look through my emails and pms to see if a number was mentioned. if you think you need 8 or 10 people to make it worthwhile to do the kit for the Soarer then i am not certain that right now there IS 8 or 10 intrested..what i do know for certain is that 3 or 4 people are and have wanted this kit for the last month or 2.

Now If Vortex as a company dont really need the hassle of making the kit because having someone make a jig up for the kit would not be cost effective then there is no problem..but as i see it Vortex is a small company and have the oppertunity to go into a market (Soarer TT's) which is not exploited yet..and if there was another 3 or 4 cars running around making great numbers and transforming the Soarer into a diff car wouldnt you think it might just get Vortex more orders..how you can say Vortex would need 8 or 10 deff orders to make it worthwhile supprised me ..cause what you are more or less saying is....you's all get together and when 8 or 10 of you's have all the money together then come talk to us and we should be able to help out...but you have forgotten the problem the ones who have asked about the kit right now have..and thats non replies to emails and pm's..now how are Soarer owners gonna talk any other Soarer owners to get there cash out and hope there is enough to get Vortex to have a jig made.

Matt i better also let you know that 2 of the Soarer owners asked for the Budget kit for the Supra..as they felt that the Soarer kit wasnt going to happen..so they asked me if My mates would do the alterations to the manifold for them which they where prepared to do...but once again they didnt recieve a reply from Vortex.

Now i know you's may all be busy and whatever BUT as i have seen Terry Miguel post on here most days..yet they choose not to answer my own pm's and others..no big deal but all anyone in the Soarer side wanted to know WAS the kit going to be done or was it a DEFF no can do.

Terry i know when we spoke on the phone you voiced your concerns about selling the kit to others without it being altered..but i did pm you and assure you that anyone i had spoken to about the kit had been WELL wanred that they would NEED to do certain alterations which they where happy to have done.

As for the "MIG" wire i did pm you and explain that the intercooler pipe had a slight twist in it so no one can do a 2D drawing of an intercooler pipe that has a slight twist in it...thats the reason you didnt get the template but i did offer to have one made if you needed it..like i offered to have the 2 Supra manifolds altered for the owners who where keen on getting it..but in the last month or so i have pm'd yourself and Miguel a few times and had no response .

Now after all my rattling on..if you feel that Vortex want or need 8 or 10 deff customers for you's to make the kit then sorry i wouldnt ask anyone else since the 1st couple who enquired didnt have much joy in getting a response for Vortex so why would anyone else with a Soarer want to ask Vortex about the budget kit.

I am more than happy with this kit :) it is a top piece of kit..and i appreciate that you did give the kit to me at a reduced price..it's just a shame that this crap has came about cause as far as i am concerned the VORTEX kit on the Soarer just makes the car a different beast altoghter..for the money no one can touch this kit...and for that i have to say thanks to both you Terry and Miguel (sorry Matt didnt have deals with you on this ).

But i wont ask others now after not getting replies to pm's and others getting treated the same..and i DID ask Miguel to pop over to the LSOC to talk with the owner of the forum but i guess that wasnt done.

Andy

Right to clarify a few things here .....Bedlam has been very helpfull in helping us get half way there to getting a soarer kit made BUT it is far from perfect and his kit was more "made to measure for his car". I for one as a trader would not feel happy selling a kit that needed some modding by the owner ...for one how would this leave us with waranty of the kit parts if some of them need to be modded.

We would like IF there was enough interest to supply a fit and forget kit and here lies the problem . 1. in order for us to get to the correct price we need to have a minimum run made other wise this kit will increase in price by a big margin ( minimum 10 people). 2. we need a soarer to work from to correctly 1st fit and fab a "jig kit" for our fabbers to work from . I can understand interested parties frustration with non replies from us which I can only apologise for . Like I say Bedlam has been very helpfull as far as the manifold is concerned But we really dont want to sell a kit with out the correct turbo outlet pipe .DP..IC pipe ect .

We also dont want to pour a substantial amount of money out for 10 kits to only sell 3 or 4 .

The only other possiblity is to just sell the Supra kit and leave it up to the individual to modify ( i'm not happy with that) but if you guys are that is another log on the fire

HTH

Miguel

I know of 2 people who asked Vortex for the Supra kit and none of them got a reply..and i DO understand about your concern sover the fitting of the kit..BUT let me make it clear that i offered to have an intercooler pipe made for you's and IF i had been asked i would have also had a Supra downpipe done to the spec of my car but i Dont have a standard exhaust system infact i could guess that most of the people who want this kit DON'T have a standard exhaust.. so even IF you sold the kit with the correct downpipe for a Soarer midpipe it prob would need altered and it dont change the fact that Vortex where asked for 2 supra kits and no one bothered.

Like i said before i aint posting this to put down Vortex I Prob got the best kit for the money to put on a Soarer and i know your a nice guy Mig..Terry the Jurys out on you ;)... nah i guess if Vortex is insisting on 10 soarers deff before you's decided to make a jig then it looks like i'm an only child :(..and auld one but who cares :0).

Andy