The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just back from the Nurburgring!

AJI

In one word 'WOW' !!

What a truely awesome weekend!!!

3 Supras, 2 RX7's and a number of superbikes terrorising the continent. The Nurburgring is just the best circuit I ever seen and the atmosphere over there is fantastic.

The Supra and RX7 are a very rare sight in Germany by the amount of attention we all got from the locals. And in that area they really love their sportscars.

As an example of what I mean... on three separate occasions when I was heading back to the hotel on quiet little back road I had some locals blast up behind me honking their horn and outside of their window they were giving me the international symbol of 'send it on!'...... and when I did I got the thumbs up and flash of the lights. This even occurs when you drive through the quiet villages around that area - even by old guys with grey hair!

The 'ring' itself is something you have to experience before the EU bring in some stupid law to shut it down. I set a sub-9 minute lap time in my Supra which has stock springs and shocks..... which I think for a first time visit is not bad.

We took loads od video and stills so check here later on for some multi-media.

A.J.I.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my pics off the camera, and Liz's :) Loads of stuff to sort through, I'll upload them sometime tonight I imagine.

We've found a few more pics of the cars from various places, see attached.

Heres the pic of me, clearly showing Aron how its done ;)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robert.pogmore/PICT0008_PR.jpg

HCO Image Gallery IMG_0561.JPG.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

Guest El Cid

Well, I am officially jealous! I'd love to run the ring... too bad my car is on the wrong side of the pond. :(

Great pics too!

Just like to add my comments to those of Aron n Rob - fantastic weekend, really enjoyed meself :clap: Defo a 'ring addict now! Thanks to Rob for getting it sorted (shame you missed the ferry m8 :eek: ) n aron for the pointers! Think i timed a 9 minute lap meself towards the end, so well chuffed, considering prior to last weekend i was a track virgin :cool:

Oh, not forgetting the random bird with big tits who i took for a 'hot lap' at the end of sunday :clap: :innocent:

If you have'nt ever been - WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR????

We got to Calais 10 mins l8! We covered about 90 miles in 40 mins :D

Had a feeling it wasnt to be, but we got the next one and only had a 30 min wait so no worries, just a shame I couldnt say goodbye to you guys properly - rather than watching you all dissapear around the Antwerp ring road :read:

Great trip though, and I forgot to mention that we met up with MFS (Marco) in a Petrol station in Belgium, just totally out of the blue, so funny :D

Anyone for some goat cum? ;)

Good to see Supra's at the ring, and man the Germans like them!

Sub 9 mins time was very good, how many laps did you do and exactly how far below 9 mins and where did you time to and from?. You must have been shifting and not delayed by motorbikes :-)

I'd like to see every Supra do a sub 9min to keep the status good :-)

Was going to go back this weekend, but its looking like it may have to wait as I'm way too busy.

When are you going back Bobbeh?

Dont know tbh, Im sure the guys I went with have other trips this year, cant say if I'll be going though, I have limited holiday left now :(

I think Aron clocked an 8:50 ish time, timing from the bridge at the start and the Gantry on the back straight. I didnt time my laps, although I did follow our friend in his RX7, who was following Aron (a little way behind tho) and he clocked a 9.08, so thats probably around my time too as I was simply following him.

I tried to keep up with Aron on a hot lap but he simply lost me on the 2nd long straight section heading up hill. BPU certainly makes these cars more lively :D

I was really impressed again with my Pirellis, they gripped like a mofo :)

Friday we did a couple of starter laps, saturday I got up late and didnt get down there till midday, others had been lapping and getting into the swing of things, then at 3pm they had the oldtimers classic car rally which meant the course was shut to the public. Then in the afternoon, maybe 5pm onwards it just rained heavily so we went back to the hotel.

Sunday was a great day, although there were a few accidents, an M5 Ring Taxi blew up, as well as a T5 which spilled crap all over the track. One biker looked to be seriously hurt and one of the guys we went with got knocked off by a Scooby!

But it was a great weekend, my confidence knowing the track is so much improved and getting the right lines too. GT4 was worth it ;)

timing from the bridge at the start and the Gantry on the back straight.
I know the bridge, but not sure of the "Gantry" on the "back straight"?

We used a standing start at the cones, I suppose that standing starts are hardly the way to do lap times, and ended @ the last speed limit sign which i think is something like 70 or 90km/h to get the longest possible lap.

Great pics, if thats your Black one bobbeh, I do like - very much! Man you gotta go BPU, how can you resist? even if its only a dragger, blitz panel filter , MBC and BCC, it so much more fun on the ring. How did the brakes do for you and what are you using?

Lets keep the Supra's "The car in front" @ the ring whenever we can :-)

Gantry is the thing that is like a mechano frame on the long straight where you come off.

Yes, thats my Black one ;) Brakes were fine, using stock everything. Friday was bad because of the heat 33+ degrees, the car felt gutless.

I gave a Porsche GT3 RS a good run, let him pass as he was quicker and I was caught up with traffic, but from then on I chased him all the way to the end for 1/3 of the lap :D

911's are a bit over rated on the ring unless they have serious spec, I passed loads of them except one that made me look real slow! but it was stripped out caged, race rubber etc.

FMIC is a great help on a hot day there, with the high octance local fuel, mine pulled solid even when we had to lap with the air con on!

Good to hear your giving the Porsches a hard time :-)

The Nurburgring is both impressive and intimidating..... you can learn the track on GT4 but to drive it in real life it looks completly different on your first go.

The corners are much tighter and the gradient is much sharper..... but after you've been round a few times you can really send the car on. I was overtaking pretty much everything apart from a couple of tuned up stripped out M5's with roll cages.

Oh and that bleeding Dodge Viper which overtook me on one lap...... but saying that he didn't pull away as much as I thought he would.

I slowed for traffic and then let him go past... but it seemed to be only on the straights where he pulled away.... I was well impressed with how my Supra handled the Nurburgring. I did have some minor wheel-arch rubbing on some corners which sounded like a dog barking on the video replays ! LOL

But before I go back I will be upgrading my suspension because by the end of the weekend I was going round at speeds which were a bit too fast for the stock setup.

The back end was getting a bit lively..... which Bobbeh can confirm when I took him out for a lap !!

We should really organise a club visit over there next year in the middle of June. If you have bought a Supra and haven't drivin it on the Nurburgring then you are really missing something special.

Bobbeh - stop playing with those goats again!! LOL