The mkiv Supra Owners Club

questions regarding 19" wheels

RobSheffield

Two questions really - was going to post in technical - but i ned more of a discussion

Firstly - we know 19" effect handling, but can some users post up how easy they are to get on with. my car wont be a daily driver.

Secondly - has anyone gone for wider width than 10" on the rear? im only thinking of 11", but what do i need to look out for?

arch rolling?

what tyre sizes?

what offsets?

thanks in advance for any replies

Hello matey :nyah:

As you know, i have 19" Kahn RSC-2 Split Rims on my baby, and they are (i think) a 9x19" at the front, and a 10x19" at the rear, i know they were special order from the normal sizes so as to fit the Supra. So i assume they are as near to proper offset as possible too.

When i bought my car, it had the wheels on, but the car wasnt lowered. And they dont scrub at all, not even on full lock, and they didnt scuff the arches.

I have since lowered the car on Tein NR Full setup all round, and the car sits very low over the wheels now, they still dont scrub on full lock or driving though, and they are VERY close to the arches at the rear, but the Teins are solid, and they dont hit or scuff at all. Pic below.

The Teins are on the 3rd setting down of 4 settings, and on the lowest, the wheels did just scuff the rear arches, slightly, but the car was ridiculously low.

No problems whatsoever though now mate, nothing at all. And no modifications needed to fit at all. :eyebrows:

i would do mate, its on blocks having the nose/front bumper fitted. when all is done ill post pics and you can tell for yourselves!

for now im wondering as to the effects of the tyre being of a smaller sidewall and the effect of 11" wide rears.

offsets and tyre section recommended can come later! (im assuming tyre section of around 285 - 295)

CCW makes 19x11 rear Supra fitments.

I know, thats whose wheels im considering....but if you read my original post, im not asking who sells them, or what rubber i can get on them, but rather will the 11 inch wide tyre/wheel rub the arches.

i know that 19's will cause poor handling (as in harsh ride), not a problem, but i want to know if they will cause tramlining.

see, thats what i wanted to know!!

How do i go about 'chopping the arches'?

PM me if you would like

GVN chopped them for me.. They have done 4 cars now..

It requres removal of rear wheels, measuring out an ark on the arch lip and a high speed hydraulic hack saw.

Once cut they hand file all the edges and seal the area with car undersealer.

I think its £150-£200

But they did a fantastic job. Rolling supra arches is an issue as there are small / tiny spot welds that leave lumps in the rolled section.. Most people dont know this.

Also, i would assume that when the lip is rolled upwards it creates a trough that can fill with muck and cause rust to start.

No the lip is not rolled at all.. This would crack the paint and its not needed...

My lip is about 10mm at its thinest part and its V easy to clean muck form. Stock it has like a 30-40 mm lip

Guest El Cid
I know, thats whose wheels im considering....but if you read my original post, im not asking who sells them, or what rubber i can get on them, but rather will the 11 inch wide tyre/wheel rub the arches.

i know that 19's will cause poor handling (as in harsh ride), not a problem, but i want to know if they will cause tramlining.

I was just pointing to them so you could ask what offsets they use, and so you'd know that someone is producing 11" wide rears for our cars.

As for the cutting v. rolling of the fenders, I have to recommend rolling. When done properly (heating the paint), there is no cracking of the paint and you get much more clearance than you can w/ cutting. As for the trough that can fill w/ water... I filled it w/ 3M body filler, then sprayed it over w/ 3M rubberized undercoating.

yo can only roll arches that do not have spot welds..

Unfortunatelly most of the J-Specs do :)

Anyway, I still disagree about rolling being better... Even with heating up the paint the places that do it ALWAYS say your paint has a chance of cracking...

Do you really want to take that risk and chance paying out £700 to have both reach arches refinished ?