The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brand new Supra carpets for £121 in a choice of colours

Aerotop Dave

Interesting...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000214863/mediaCode-ZX/appId-10346050/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000021486310346050

$219 which is about £121. Shipping is $21.99 but free until the end of June. A few guys on Supraforums have fitted them and seem happy. This appears to be Supra-specific carpet, properly moulded to the cockpit shape.

Yes - I was expecting the free shipping to be US only but I couldn't see that so I think it might apply internationally as well.

I've done a bit more research and it seems that this is just carpet 'only' - one guy on Supraforums said it had no backing or padding as such, so you might need to supplement this with some foam backing or something (in other words, it might be a bit hard under the feet and could wear quickly, so best factor in purchasing some cheap carpet underlay or thin sheet of foam).

Looking into carpet dying right now.

Carpet dye - thanks to Supraforums again, it seems like this is the stuff to use:

https://www.usautomotive.co.uk/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=59

Again available in a range of colours, but there seems to be some different opinions on this stuff - some people think it works a treat, others think there's better stuff available. Looks like you need 5-6 cans for the cockpit carpet, so that's £46.50 plus £10 postage.

So I guess there's two options for carpet colouring - pay around £60 and spray it or £120 and get a new one.

Given that Toyota spent a great deal of time and effort developing hollow fibre carpet to reduce weight I wonder how much one of these replacements will add over the OEM?

If you went for the carpet you might have to ask if they can put the heal pad on the right side as well.

Ah yes - a blindingly obvious point that I had overlooked! A lot of people use mats though I guess.

It appears there are some people on Supraforums who actually sprayed the carpet while it was still in the car. They masked everything off and just started spraying. Now that is brave. I mean, sure you can mask everything and it would probably be okay, but... blimey.

what about if you get a bit of wind blowing through the car and you end up with the spray all over your seats or even onthe glass !!! you would be in trouble then, but i was just thinking how much effort it would be to get the carpets out and worse still putting them back in and making it all neat and tidy like it was when you take it out !!!

Im asuming though that both options will invlove stripping out the seats and getting the carpets right out !!! ...so much work for me lol !!!

I do not expect it to be a lot of work as the front seats are only have 5 bolts holding them in.

Some cutting would be required to match the stock carpet but, you could use the old carpet as a template.

Carpet.jpg

No, not mine just s photo I have.

However, I have had both my front seats out and the carpet up in the front AND the centre console so, don't expect it to be a major job to pull the rear seats as well. The carpet will just unclip from the car.

The carpet doesn't go under the rear seats, well only about an inch. The base of the rear seats literally just pulls up!!! No bolts or anything just those pinch clips that Toyota love so much!! (The back rest is bolted in though).

If the front's are relatively easy to take out then the whole thing should be a sinch!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No, but I'm off to the US Automotive place this Saturday to check out the dye stuff I mentioned/linked. Couldn't really tell which colour I'm going to need so they recommended popping up with a sample of the carpet (as the original carpet colour can affect the finished colour) and they'd show me some samples of the colours (I've narrowed it down to 3).

I'm going for quite a light colour, so I think mine might be quite challenging, but if you want to go black then I think it's very low-risk really. I've done quite a bit of reading up on this and searching around - there are other products available that people have used on Supraforums with success, but they don't seem to be available over here. The only ones I've been able to find are supplied as part of a carpet repair or dying kit for professionals and cost a fair amount. This VHT stuff seems to need about 6 cans, and Supraforums people have been using other stuff to try and cut down on the amount of expense/spraying required by using other products that only need 2 or 3 cans. So there's no real issue over the ability of the VHT stuff to work, people were simply using other stuff to reduce the cost/effort. With the other stuff seemingly unavailable over here it looks like the only option is VHT.

Very good chance I'm going to try it, and you'll see the finished article when my new-look interior breaks cover within the next month or so.

I will look out for it then... and if not i will see about getting one of their purple carpets to match my car, risky but could look great !!!

Make sure that before you get them you see the colour first... lol. Are you going to get light or dark? :ecstatic:

If this is any thing to do with pink .......

They would have to be dark as the would lighten in time any way.... if you look at the samples the purple looks about right for the paint colour any way !!!

I still think i would have to see it in the flesh first. If you do go ahead with it, good luck and post some pics!!