The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cj any news on car??

darren j adams

Not new but relatively unused. I guess thats what you get for running 1.8 bar of boost eh? Both the turbo manufacturers who examined it reckoned it wasn't capable of holding that boost and the thrust bearing gave in. :(

When the turbo goes is the car still driveable? What about when turbo number 1 or 2 goes on the original TT setup?

The turbo had not completely blown. It was a problem that become obvious due to a puff of smoke being emitted everytime you put it under load and then took your fot off the throttle.

I took it to Jagman to see what the cause was and once he removed the turbo, he showed me a load of play in the shaft - hence why I then took it to Owen Dev and Turbo Dynamics

two types of bearing i think

One is only 3/4 of the way around and dies when big boost is applied

The other is 360 deg which supports the load all the way round and can handle big boost.

Make sure they put a 360deg bearing ,best you can buy.

D.

Cheers D - I will have a word :thumbs:

When the turbo goes is the car still driveable? What about when turbo number 1 or 2 goes on the original TT setup?

On stocks if no.1 turbo goes you'll loose all boost, if no.2 goes you'll still make some boost on first turbo but all pressure will be lost as soon as the second turbo comes on line.

The car will still run but not advised as it will run very rich, which can lead to bore wash.

On stocks if no.1 turbo goes you'll loose all boost, if no.2 goes you'll still make some boost on first turbo but all pressure will be lost as soon as the second turbo comes on line.

The car will still run but not advised as it will run very rich, which can lead to bore wash.

Ah, okay, useful to know. So generally advisable to get the car trailered to the fixer then.