The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quick Help (Traders?) re Crank pulley

RobAndrews

I've just discovered that my crank pulley (the bottom one) has come off. The belt is still going round where the pulley used to be. Thinking back, I reckon it came off about a week ago. I still have the pulley as it was sat on the undertray. I need a quote for what needs to be done. Anyone with information can you email me on [email protected] it's a work email address and I can't use the internet so will only be able to view text info.

Could you email me with any info such as

1. Complete solution!

2. Parts prices

3. Guide to how much I should have to pay for labour

4. Advice on getting other stuff changed at the same time (cambelt and other pulleys ???)

Thanks in advance for any help.

The pulley if I remember rightly is just shy of 300 quid... you should also probably change the belt at the same time...

The operation is fairly simple..

Take rad out... (so you will need some more 4life stuff)

Get the old crank pully off, using a puller...

Put the new one back on, put the new belt on..

Put the rad back in, and top it up..

Job done

my geezer just charged me £120 to fit new pulley and do full aircon diagnostic (fill it and find the leak). He says the hardest bit was getting the belt back on as the tensioner was a tough bastard!

Not bad I thought. The actual crank pulley is £177 + vat from Toyota, and if you ask, they will give you 10% discount which should make it about £160 + vat.

I got lucky and bought one from a member here for fifty quid.

BTW, while your belt is going round on the rubber where the pulley used to be, it's actually lowered the gearing so your water pump, power-steering pump etc. are being turned slower than they should. Don't know if that's bad, but's it's certainly worrying anyway 'cause that belt could slip right off any time :eek:

I'd get the car transported to a decent garage ASAP and order a new pulley (part number 13407-46020 ) from Toyota right away - they don't carry them in stock.