The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tuning an NA supra

TrevS

Alright guys

I know that theres not really much you can do to a NA supra to increase the performance and if I suggest tuning my NA I am going to get a load of TT owners going you should have bought a TT etc etc.

I am really happy with my supra and for the money it was a great buy, and couldn't get close to a TT of the same age for the money but I just wondered what the best appoach to tuning an NA would be.

I know you can get a turbo conversion but for the money it would be cheaper to sell the car and get a TT.

Has anyone on here got an NA and had nitrous oxide fitted. I would be a bit worried about fitting a NOS system to my car but as the supra has such a strong engine i wondered how it copes with the nitrous. Also what size NOS kit can you fit safely? I know its not a long term power solution but wondered how much of a difference it really makes.

I'm trying to sort out a deal at the moment for a performance modification that could be very interesting to NA owners. It is early days at the moment, so not sure if it is going to come off or not, I will post full details once things are confirmed.

Alright guys

I know that theres not really much you can do to a NA supra to increase the performance and if I suggest tuning my NA I am going to get a load of TT owners going you should have bought a TT etc etc.

I am really happy with my supra and for the money it was a great buy, and couldn't get close to a TT of the same age for the money but I just wondered what the best appoach to tuning an NA would be.

I know you can get a turbo conversion but for the money it would be cheaper to sell the car and get a TT.

Has anyone on here got an NA and had nitrous oxide fitted. I would be a bit worried about fitting a NOS system to my car but as the supra has such a strong engine i wondered how it copes with the nitrous. Also what size NOS kit can you fit safely? I know its not a long term power solution but wondered how much of a difference it really makes.

Nitrous Oxide would be the best bang for the buck for the NA mate!!!

Also you could get a header and exhaust system, K&N panel filter for the stock airbox. A lot you can do for NA such as porting and polishing the head etc etc... but they cost big $$$ (thats why you find most people saying 'get a TT instead')

Ok, lets start and count things up.

To buy a decent low mileage TT will cost approx 9-10k or thereabouts.

So that gives you around 320bhp, rght?

If you sell your N/A and get say 5.5k for it you still have to put another 4.5k to it for a TT.

However consider a `Big single` turbo conversion, and i`m going to allow 6k for that. The guys stateside regulary talk of 500bhp+ figures for a T67 or 71 kit. Have a good read on the N/A forum over here http://supraforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Apparently a basic kit without headgasket, running low boost etc will put you on a par with a BPU TT Supe.

Considering the amount of decent low mileage N/A`s out there it`s food for thought.

also see http://www.boostlogic.com/parts_supraNA.html (Thor do these)

and http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/price/Toyota/Supra_93-98/performance/Turbos/Turbo_Kits

Well I am not looking at spending big money on tuning the car. Also I currently have a facelift gunmetal grey supra. To find a TT one of these, with same miles and condition is going to set me back around £16k I guess so I need to be more realistic.

I just wondered if nitrous was a quick, cheap way of getting a power boost? Also what size injectors would suit the NA best. I don't want power gains to be so high that they ruin the engine in any way.

I'm trying to sort out a deal at the moment for a performance modification that could be very interesting to NA owners. It is early days at the moment, so not sure if it is going to come off or not, I will post full details once things are confirmed.

Nic you have to tell me more you've got me interested now.

On a dry kit, you can't increase a great deal of power because there is no additional fuel nozzle included. It relies on your existing fuel injectors and basically you would need to run a little rich for it to help. A wet kit comes with nitrous and fuel fittings and thus does not depend on the existing fuel setup and hence you can increase a lot more power. It is safer as well