The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Volvo 440 water temp gauge broken?

RedM

The water temp gauge in my car is sat at the bottom and isn't moving. It was working before I stopped to do some shopping then didn't rise at all on the journey home despite heavy traffic, stopping and starting and a long climb uphill.

Roughly, what would this mean? Can I drive it? Checked water level and it is fine!

Thank you

Further to this:

Took the car out for a drive as I should be in Halifax right now and noticed that the gauge rose and fell as I drove. It seemed almost to fall when going uphill and rise downhill. Parked on a level road and watched as it fell then rose a bit etc. Still full of water so what gives?

should be located around the thermostat housing, single wire maybe blue but not sure!!! ;)

Thanks for the info. I'll look for the wire in the morning right after I've found the thermostat housing:shrug:

Where would I buy a temp sender? A Volvo dealer?

motor factors like part co... you should be looking for sender around where the top hose goes to the radiator follow the top hose to the engine and that is where the thermostat is housed.. there should be another sensor that controls the electric fans but that will be two wires i think...post pics and i will let you know ;)

In case anyone cares, here is a little update.

Gauge seems to be working fine now after doing nothing except leave it overnight. Temp sits at about the 1/4 mark unless in slow moving traffic. This is how it was when we first got the car so I am happy. Don't know what happened. Maybe she had a little tizzy at the way I've been driving her. Who knows.