The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cooling Mist water injection

TRD3000GT

Guest Terry S
I believe the AM pumps put out about 6bar.

Dan already answered you, but 6 bar is only 87psi approx. I thought aquamist were higher than that.

Guest Terry S
Well it was just one idea for lowering intake tempratures...

Any other ideas ?

What are they? I wouldnt have thought you have an issue with a 3 Row.

The Aquamist pumps do fail if you don't take care of them.

Using ethanol-based stuff (like commercial windscreen-washer fluids) kills their seals.

Running them dry also kills them, easy thing to do if you don't double-check the installation.

The kit above is based around the Shureflo pump, which is more 'agricultural' than the Aquamist but it does the job.

What are they? I wouldnt have thought you have an issue with a 3 Row.

I dont have any issues yet I just want her to run as safe as possible so a few people told me to get water injection...

Just me listening to the others I guess :sly:

I must learn to controll myself!

:respekt:

Guest Terry S
The Aquamist pumps do fail if you don't take care of them.

Using ethanol-based stuff (like commercial windscreen-washer fluids) kills their seals.

Running them dry also kills them, easy thing to do if you don't double-check the installation.

The kit above is based around the Shureflo pump, which is more 'agricultural' than the Aquamist but it does the job.

What about only running water through them, keeping them inside the engine bay, and NEVER running them dry. 3 failures like this!

What about only running water through them, keeping them inside the engine bay, and NEVER running them dry. 3 failures like this!

About 1.5 years ago (roughly) they changed the design of the pump seals to be more robust.

I remember Mr Aquamist explaining to me in great detail, he was in talkative mood lol...

I have a friend who went through 3 of the old pumps, and I was quick to point out that I'd want a no-fuss refund if it goes south despite me sticking to their instructions.

Turns out it's easy to get air sucked in the pump from the low-pressure side, hard to troubleshoot since no water leaks. Bubbles in the high pressure lines are a giveaway, along with the pump being excessively noisy.

I've experimented quite a lot (for an enthusiast, not a F1 team!) on the subject and found several gotchas and surprising effects too.

Some of them I explain on my 'water injection' page on my website.

People in the States run them with no major issues.

Some even mix'n'match with Aquamist ancilliaries

You've got to find flow figures first, depending on what nozzles you'll use (no big deal, you can measure them yourself really, that's what I did and found the Aquamist flow maps to be way off)

You've got to find flow figures first, depending on what nozzles you'll use (no big deal, you can measure them yourself really, that's what I did and found the Aquamist flow maps to be way off)

By 'flow figures', do u mean the amount they flow through each injector??

yes, with real-life voltage and hoses. You just activate it for 15seconds into a calibrated container and then multiply by 4.

It's important not to swamp the engine with water. You don't want it too early or to be like a fire hydrant, that will actually lower your power figures.

It's important not to swamp the engine with water, that will actually lower your power figures.

Even if its meths?

If you have a way of tuning ign and fuel then you could really release the potential i guess.

:cool:

Even if its meths?

If you have a way of tuning ign and fuel then you could really release the potential i guess.

:cool:

it's not that simple, you can't just substitute water with methanol (or whatever) and assume that everything's honky-dory.

You have to know the pump's tolerance for one, or else you'll kill it. Methanol attacks aluminum as well, did you know that?

As for the methanol/fuel ratio, that's another story. Stoich for methanol is less than half than what it is for petrol, and it releases less energy per gram. So your 'target' AFRs under boost might not be where you think they should be.