The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EPC request for a part ( man VS "T")

JohnA

I've just managed to cripple my IACV VSV (as said in other thread) and ordered a new one through "T" .

Trouble is that the part number from their catalog came out as 25860-46060. The old part itself has

"90910-12126-B" stamped on it. WTF?

Anybody can check on these two numbers please?

My version of EPC still doesn't play ball with *any* of the 4 PCs I've got at home :complain:

PS

brittle little thingie, it's on top of a very hot engine, with hot pressurised gases passing through it. Why the hell did they make it out of plastic? What were they thinking?

I just tried to pull out the hose and it sheared off. It's not gonna do the turbo#2 any favours if it hits 4Krpm, the ECV opens and the intake stays shut. Worst case the overwhelmed reed valve breaks apart and showers the cylinders with debris. Niiiiice...

Sometimes OEMs will change the number if they have a small change done to the item, such as internal cost saving on parts etc. It is normally to help the supplier of the part to Toyota, we change part numbers on their items for some things like adding a small cut to the front edge (for rain sensor harness). It is the same part, but a newer revision, if you get what I mean.

The trouble is that Toyta refuse to refund for 'special orders' which is practically any such part for the Supra.

So if I compare the part on Tuesday and it looks nothing like the original one, I'm stuck with it. £50 odd quid worse off, too.

What also makes me think is the wisdom of using plastic parts in such hot areas. If this flimsy plastic nipple cracks or breaks (which it did) then the IACV won't open when it should (boost pressure won't be directed to the back of the IACV actuator) and it's a matter of time when you'll say goodbye to turbo#2.

...and what's the idea of directing boost gases taken before the i/c?

It would have been better for the designers to feed the pressure tank after the i/c and adjust the actuator springs accordingly (as cooler air has lower pressure). 100C pressurised air through plastic bits and rubber hoses is not my idea of reliability.

[/rant]

I *did* think of all the VSV leftovers from the people who've gone single, yes.

But

1. The car is almost wounded in the meantime (stuck to below 4K) and these searches take time.

2. The used VSV would be brittle just like the old one, wouldn't it? Sitting on top of the engine, what other chances does it have?

So is it worth waiting longer for something that is potentially weaker, just to save £10-20? Since the life of turbo#2 depends on this part, I thought not.

TBH all the ones I have pulled off for singles have been in perfect working order. Only one has been brittle to date ...but they all went back to the customers ...just a thought thats all ..And they may just give them to you ..so it would save you more than a tenner if you ask nice ...there are loads on here. like I say only a thought so ill shut up now .