The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK spec Jap spec

Guest letssee

Guest letssee

Seeing as im looking at getting a soopy i guess i should ask what the differance is or rather how to tell the differance between a uk spec or a jap spec so could you help

Cheers

Matt

but if there slower it defeats the whole purpos of selling my gto for a faster car even tho the j spec is still faster

You'll find in standard form the J spec is the faster of the two. Just have a look at the drag times thread on this forum which has a league showing UK or J spec and what mods if any along with the time achieved.... all will be revealed.

but if there slower it defeats the whole purpos of selling my gto for a faster car even tho the j spec is still faster

Now, before this descends into the usual melee of arguments and counter arguments, the following is a rough guide to the differences:

UK

Bigger brakes, glass headlights, different cam profile, always has leather interior, heated seats, smaller turbos with steel blades. Autos available, maunals more rare. Usually find that these cars come with a much higher mileage but could have a FTSE.

J-Spec

Aerotops available (although rare). Sometimes with leather, sometimes bigger brakes, bigger turbos but ceramic blades. More choice due to flooding of the market.

The performance difference is negligable and you will be hard pressed to notice th difference.

The performance difference is negligable and you will be hard pressed to notice th difference.

The JSpec may actually feel a bit faster, as it boosts a bit earlier (smaller exh A/R) and the final gearing is a tad shorter as well (rather the UK gearing is ludicrously long)

However try boosting it way over 1 bar and the JSpec will spit a turbine wheel from the exhaust, let alone the fuelling system being stressed.

Go for a late JSpec with optional big brakes if you can.

Guest letssee

I dont really have one this is at the mo just info grabbing.

I want to get one that is purfect for me the, mods i can do and whatever else i can find out like reliability and things.

I should thinK somewhere in the region of 12 to 14 grand, i will pay more for a car thats worth it.

I dont expect to get the best one out there but i hope its enough to get a pretty good one.

Im not in any rush to buy one i want to get it right with as much help as i can get off you guys if thats ok.

Cheers

Matt

i dont really have one this is at the mo just info grabbing i want to get one that is purfect for me the mods i can do and whatever else i can find out like reliability and things but i should thing somewhere in the region of 12 to 14 grandwill pay more for a car thats worth it so i dont expect to get the best one out there but i hope its enough to get a pretty good one

Cheers

Matt

Matt....your post reads painfully bad without any punctuation :giveup:

I personally would recommend that you keep your options open at the moment. Test drive & check out as many as you can, compare both Autos & Manuals, UK & J-Spec.

Make an informed decision....and make your OWN decision.

:lol: as people have said there really isn't much differance in terms of the cars performance wise. try and trear each car on it's own individual merits rather than bein "UK" or "Jspec". there's only 1 model of UK and it's a TT manual or auto. there's a few different levels of trim for the jspec as there were facelift and VVti models.

http://www.mkiv.co.nz/ has the differances listed

Expect higher mileage for a UK manual - there's a black one i know of for sale, looks sound etc but has 130k miles - if a mkiv's looked after the high mileage isn't too much of a problem but do budget for turbo failures or other wear and tear items just incase!

Seb on here also has a lush red one for sale too, very surprised it's not been snapped up! oh yeah, UKs also get a FSH usually!

good luck :D 12-14 will deffo get a jspec manual but not a VVTi one. if you spend 18k youll get a 1998 Royal Sapphire Pearl T61 single powered 6 speed Supra off Alex Holdroyd on here :D

Guest letssee

Right stop taking the p**s.

Thanks for the advice i will do just that. Ill drive as many different supras as i can to get a good idea how they behave and what to look for.

Cheers for the advice sorry about my bad punctuation and probily my spelling also.

:thanks: