The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone heard of 'Cooper' tyres?!!?

montezumola

Both my rear tyres are shot and what I thought would be a simple task of heading down to my fave tyre fitters on Saturday morning proved more of a headache ... :eyebrows:

Basically, they can only order one type: Kuhmo Ecsta 712's

The wheels are J-Spec stock (245/50 R16)

There are Goodyear Eagle ZRs available, but they are twice the price and have an 'old' pattern ... :thumbdown

Two other tyres have come up in the search :

Cooper Zeon 2XS

Cooper Lifeliner SLE Sport

Anyone have any experience of these unknown to me tyres?

Thanks in advance! :)

I've got Kuhmo on the rear of my NA at the moment. Wouldn't put them on the TT.

They were cheap at 80 quid ish each, again marketing leads you to believe they're performance tyres. They're ok, but then I don't drive like a bender.

:)

Cooper Tires are indeed American and bought out Avon Tyres of Melksham. They have started to do Z rated tyres but not sure if those would be any good at the moment. Avon's tyres are high performance but not sure if we do your sizes, ZZ4 is to be released soon and may fit the bill. Coopers are in the middle of purchasing Kuhmo as well.

You need to do a bit more work to get some decent tyres.

I had the Kuhmos 712s n my supra, never again.

Goodyear Eagle F1s are popular here and should be easy enough to get hold of.

Tyres are the most important part of the car, dont settle for tat :)

What would be the handling 'impact' of putting near specification tyres on?

I guess a couple of options, to replace the 245/50 's would be ...

1. 245/45 (as mentioned above) Pirelli P Zero, Goodyear F1, Continental Sport N1

2. 245/55 Pirelli P6000, Michelin MXM HX

3. 235/60 Dunlop SP9000

Hmmm .... options, options ......

I guess the RLTC will need to be remapped to take into account a slightly differing tyre size for the rears?

Guest El Cid

I recommend avoiding Cooper tires. I think they are Kmart's brand, but I have had them on a previous car (came with the car when I bought it used), and they were lacking in traction during dry, wet, etc. I would not put them on my Supra for any reason (barring an emergency and them being the only available option).

I drive an RZS TT and my advice is:

Originally picked the car up with F1's, good tyre and plenty of grip though don't last long. (and I'm not a particularly quick driver!)

Worth getting decent tyres, look around, my last set of Toyo T1S's were excellent in the wet and dry, great traction and cornering ability and at £85 each, fitted, a bargain - ok, they only lasted about 6/8k - worth every penny though. I am just having some Bridgestone Expidia SO1's fitted for £87 each. Don't go the cheap route, you will regret it! Good soft rubber can be found at reasonable prices.

I am lead to beleive the F1's are no longer available for standard size rims - any one know otherwise?

If you do change the profile on the rear, it's a good idea to change the fronts at the same time.

Try the Toyo's or shop around for bargain good rubber is my advice.