The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra TT Virgin

Guest chiefvinso

Guest chiefvinso

In just over a month I shall be taking ownership of a j-spec 96 facelift supra TT. I have wanted one of these cars for years but didnt think I could afford it as I didnt have a job when returning from the states - so I settled for my second choice of car, an MR2 GT TBar Turbo. Thats going tomorrow.

Anyway, I have done lots of reading and asked tuners about stuff but I would really like to know what I should do. I understand the fuel pump is not up to a good spec once you start tuninig. I was told by a tuner that if both cats were removed it would cause turbo stall? Also, what maintenance things should I look at although the dealer will service the vehicle (probably just standard items)

Its a 6pd with 43,000miles. It's also going to be fitted with factory optional supra brakes, are these as good as uk spec?

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.

Keith

Guest chiefvinso

Cheers Gaz, its good to know. Just out of curiosity, how good are these brakes and when would you have to upgrade them if you start going higher up the power ranges.

Hello, welcome :)

Lovely looking car, all those facelift goodies too!

To get to the 400-450 flywheel bhp range you're looking at the following parts (Nicked from another post by Clarkey Sparkey :D )

Cat back exhaust (eg RSR) = £400

Decat pipes and restrictor ring = £300

Walbro Fuel Pump = £100

Thor VFCD (2nd hand) = £60

DEFI Boost Gauge & Box = £200

Plugs = £20

If you have a little mechanical skill you can fit these on your driveway, though nothing here is difficult to fit at all.

You will also need to check the condition of the intercooler, many of the older ones are way past their best so you might need to consider replacing it.

The UK spec brakes are extremely good, unless you're planning some hard track days I can't see any reason why you'd need to upgrade them. Just make sure you have some good pads (Chris wilson does great ones) and that the fuild is decent 5.1 stuff.

HTH

Cheers Gaz, its good to know. Just out of curiosity, how good are these brakes and when would you have to upgrade them if you start going higher up the power ranges.

The brakes are very good and will stand upto quite a bit of abuse.

If you do regular track days or hard stops from high speeds I'd recommend upgrading the discs (3G or DBA) and pads (Endless SSS), fluid (Motul 5.1) and lines (Goodridge Stainless Steel).

Regards,

Gaz

you could always get chris wilson racing pads which would improve them still. At the end of the day it depends on how much money you want to spend.

read this re removing the cats and potential boost problems:-

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35944

and this one for Basic Performance Upgrades (BPU)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=38389

sorry Homer beat me to it. Made mental note to learn how to type using more and 2 fingers at a time !

Anyway, I have done lots of reading and asked tuners about stuff but I would really like to know what I should do. I understand the fuel pump is not up to a good spec once you start tuninig. I was told by a tuner that if both cats were removed it would cause turbo stall? Also, what maintenance things should I look at although the dealer will service the vehicle (probably just standard items)

Keith, a black manual facelift, very nice choice :D

The fuel pump should be changed to a Walbro yep (these are £100) when you start modifying yes.

Both cats can be removed but you must fit a restrictor ring on Jspec cars or you'll overboost (the stalling that the dealer is talking about!)

Service items - if it was being done FOC I'd ask for the following to be done:

Oil change, Oil Filter, PAS Fluid, Brake Fluid, Diff Fluid, Gearbox Fluid, Spark Plugs, Aux Belt, Cam Belt, Fuel Filter...

Gaz.

Love the choice of colour + manual (even better) :)

Personally, I would get used to what power / performance is already available BEFORE I go mad and start modding it to 400-450bhp.

Yup- the UK brakes are BRILLIANT for most punters. (a must have mod as far as i am concerned)

Guest chiefvinso

Thanks for the welcome and advice guys and gals, I'm looking forward to a pleasant time in the car i have dreamed about for about 10 years. I have more pics so shall get them up for viewing soon. Cheers all