The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Finally got the custom rear brakes done

Chris Wilson

Finally got the brackets back from the anodisers today, so I thought I'd post up a few pics of my custom rear brake set up, albeit for my Skyline GTS-t, not a Supra. However, the principle is the same. I wanted to use some Aston Martin DB9 calipers left over from a brake upgrade, and they were a bit of a bitch to fit, needing some milling off the backs of the caliper radial mount area and a slightly more complex than normal pair of brackets milling up, but it's now done and they sit well on 330 mm x 25 mm AP discs. They were handy money, came off a brand new 100 mile car, and have the right sort of piston sizes and pad area, and are radial mount calipers, often easier to fit in a custom application than lug mount. I made bells out of alloy with integral drums, as a sap to the MOT. They'll work fine as a parking brake drum and they allow the use of proper lightweight race discs. A set of Performance Friction 01 compound race pads completes the set up. From experience these will work fine from cold, on the road, as well as full race usage. I'll fit them to the car as soon as I can spare the ramp for a couple of hours, which is helping make me a living right now, which, of course, has to have priority over "playing" :( Pics Here

You are a serious engineering god Chris! :thumbs: Seriously, I know the engineering skill that has gone intp designing and building these brakes! I am in awe!! although, I do have a couple of teensy weensy questions ;)

Will the alloy stand up to the pressure of the shoes pressing against it? surely it was an engineers nightmare to design a shoe brake system from scratch? would it not have been easier to use a small second caliper for the hand brake?

that probably sounds like its questioning your ability, but its really not, I just wondered why your using your method rather than the second caliper method :)

very very nice! i love a little cross usage of parts on cars and aston breaks will be a very tidy feature on a skyline!

im proude to say that TVR changed there parts ordering scheme just because of me! :) i got ahold of a set of TVR Tuscan speed 6 mufflers (carbon and chrome things) and not in a sly way wanderd in to the parts dept and orderd them up! and they didnt like it at all! so now if you want a TVR part you must have the chasis no. of your car! and although i hate people who mix there themes like jap style kits on vauxhall novas and 5" slash cut exhausts on ford fiestas my british exhausts did look more than cool on an MR2!

love the breaks

Tricky

The drum is only for the parking brake shoes, as a PARKING break it will be applied with the car staionary, the only times the shoes will rub is when the MOT tester checks the handbrake effiiency. the bells are hard anodizrd and will survive hundreds of parking brake MOT tests, and perform as well as cast iron. So no worries there. No engineering God at all, it's pretty basic stuff really, and CNC machines do EXACTLY what you tell them, so it's just a matter of a drawing and someone more talented than me to write a programme, or modify an existing one. But thanks for the nice words ;)