The mkiv Supra Owners Club

R32 skyline vs Supra TT

Suprasteve

i know this will get a "well how long is a piece of string" kinda answer but just interested in everyone views.

a mate of mine has just purchased a R32 skyline. apparently it has a new "Nismo" engine (only done 7k miles) and was fitted and tuned by Abbey motorsport. the only mods are a decat exhaust and air filter.

Abbey claim it to be running 300 horse at the fly wheel. I'm guessing i'm running aprox 340-350 horse at the fly wheel.

I've done the 1/4 mile drag strip already this year at Santa pod and got 13.4 @ 106 and hope to do a little bit better now that i've decatted. He has experience of drag strips before but not in his Skyline.

I would like to think that after he does get a better start due to the 4x4 i would catch him up and overtake him just before the finish line.

I don't want this turning into a slag off Skyline discussion, as i think they're awsome cars but it would be nice to go up against him with confidence on Sunday at Santa Pod.

What do you think ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a mate of mine has just purchased a R32 skyline. apparently it has a new "Nismo" engine (only done 7k miles) and was fitted and tuned by Abbey motorsport. the only mods are a decat exhaust and air filter.

Nismo engine and standard power? Seems odd to me :shrug:

I would it would be fairly even at the same power levels, but the GTR will have better traction and the Supra more 'oommph' due to less power losses

Just wondering WTF the point is of having an N1 Block and running standard power and just zorst and filters? The whole point of an N1 block is that its uprated and good for 500+

I believe the previous owner was just about to start a big project but run out of cash and hense sell the car. My mate bought it as he has 500 bhp + plans for it but hasn't started yet.

sorry i've got a stupid question. Is a NISMO engine the same as a standard engine but extra tunable parts on it - hense good for 500+ BHP. please explain.

dont quote me on this, but im pretty sure GTRs with mild mods zorst,filter and raised boost will run high 12s no probs

i spoke to a skyline R32 owner last time i was there, he was getting high 11s all day and claims all he had was BPU. i personally thought this was bollox and that he was hiding something as my mate has a R34 with about 600 fly wheel BHP (i think may be more) the fool as spent £30k + and could only manage 11.7 @ 122 mph.

Skyjawa please enlighten me. what BHP is required for what.

i spoke to a skyline R32 owner last time i was there, he was getting high 11s all day and claims all he had was BPU. i personally thought this was bollox and that he was hiding something as my mate has a R34 with about 600 fly wheel BHP (i think may be more) the fool as spent £30k + and could only manage 11.7 @ 122 mph.

Skyjawa please enlighten me. what BHP is required for what.

The R34 is alot heavier than the old 32 dont forget

Guest dee_rz

nismo engine was as explained above from someone else, it has around 400bhp in standard form so this doesn't sound right unless it has been detuned????? so why

If you aren't sympathetic its possible, but your talking 8k rpm and dump the clutch :eek:

Its not just BHP, it comes down to tyres, gearbox, powerband so its hard to give a 100% answer......

Also depends what you mean by BPU, in Skyline terms that would equate to Stage 1, but thats a bit more than BPU - should see about 400-450 on an R34, about 400 on a R32/R33 as the stock turbo's can take a little less boost.....

I wouldnt race him just jet!! i would say at the moment unless he had a really bad start or you got a real flyer then you would lose mate.

Is the R32 grey? i think i know which car your on about as i thought about it as its a nice car and a great starting car to build. From memory from the mods done which i think was more than stage 1 mods then it will make 400 bhp easily and remember it is lighter, has more traction and everyone says the supra will do it on a rolling start...the N1 engine i think is a 2.7 ltr as it has N1 oversized pistons so it would be close on a rolling start but in a drag it would win by a good second or so.

All IMHO of course

Stick a HKS t51kai on yours then race him ;)

Guest a71ak

He'll win ... R32s with exhaust and boost do 12s easy ... also they don't need good driver they're 4wd .... my friend did 12.4 in his first time at drag strip with Nitto tyres ... the only chance you have to compete against him is by having slicks or drag radial tyres. :hide:

Good luck !!

He'll win ... R32s with exhaust and boost do 12s easy ... also they don't need good driver they're 4wd .... my friend did 12.4 in his first time at drag strip with Nitto tyres ... the only chance you have to compete against him is by having slicks or drag radial tyres. :hide:

Good luck !!

i'm pretty saw the boost hasn't been played with.

Unless its like the Jap spec sup - when you decat it increases boost due to the lask of back pressure ?

anyways we'll see.

Last skyline I drove (R33), claimed 400bhp maybe a tad more.

It would *kill* my Supra, standardish as it is. Their traction is awesome and that thing would pull hard from 3K all the way up to 7K+

More than BPU for sure (he's spent loads at Abbey) but sheeeeesh...