The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cars Through Southampton Dock, Good or Bad??

tigerblu

Really need some good solid advise, I am still trying to find my first Supra after what seems an eternity of daily web scanning. I have been a passive member for quite a few months now and have used the forum to build my knowledge about the Supra and all that goes hand in hand to owning and running one as a daily drive.

I would really like a GZ TT and there happens to be one at a dealers in Oakley, Basingstoke that just about fits my criteria, I am going to look at the car on Thursday and from what I have seen and the manner of the salesman I am hopeful to talk business.... the only thing that is of some concern is that the vehicle was bought through Southampton Auctions and when I asked if there was any auction grade papers with the car to help determine if what was in front of me was as good as it looked on the surface - he replied 'no I didn't get any'.

So would there be auction papers with cars sold through Southampton? and if the car has had to come to the UK to be sold is this also another negative?

I've expressed my opinion on the quality of stock that goes through UK dock auctions many times on this forum - do a search for 'dock auctions' or similar and you'll see. To summarise, after attending both Liverpool and Southampton dock auctions, I wouldn't touch their stuff with a bargepole.

Cheers,

Brian.

Tigerblu, you have to ask yourself where all the imports that are seen on car sites come from? Do you honestly believe that they all come direct to the sites from Japanese auctions? Of course they don't. There is one particular company that imports hundreds of cars a month and sells all their vehicles through a Southampton auction and the traders and car site chaps buy them there as they cannot be bothered with the hassle of importing direct.

If people say that all the cars going through auctions are crap then they might as well as say that the majority of stock on car sites that are imports are also crap - 'cos they come via the same route.

I bought my Supra from the very same trade house that sells through Southampton but before it went to auction. Traders perfer to wait as they know they will be cheaper. I did not want to wait and bid against the pros.

Thanks CJ, you have confirmed what I had in the back of my mind - there is such a volume of cars going through Japan that they can't all come through the same channel to get to us and to assume they are all inferior to the ones sold in Japan is naive on my part.

Well thanks for the advice and I will look with an open mind on Thursday and hopefully join the Supra ranks good and proper very soon.

My advice would be to take someone with experience with you to give an independant opinion. All too often we let our hearts rule our head (I know, I have done it) and end up buying "emotionally" rather than clinically.

The southampton auctions are every tuesday!??? well im pretty sure they are! about 6 supras went through this week (didnt actually seem them, just the list).

I got my 1st supra from there, it is well dodgey. You get to see the exterior of the car for quite a while (depending at what time its being auctioned) so you get a general idea of the condition, marks, bumps, very badly fitted kits etc. but you only get about 5 mins to look at the engine... if your lucky!

Went for mine because the engine looked spot on, more luck then judgement probably but the car turned out to be fine. The problems where that the tyres were VERY bad and needed replacing which is around £500 alone, breaks needed sorting and it needed a few other replacement for the engine but nothing major!

Basically im saying be very VERY careful and dont think that if the car goes for £4000 thats all its going to cost you! Could end up being ALOT more! Heard some bad stories in the past!

Quite good fun just going down to see all the cars though, good luck!

nismo_lp I am definatley not brave enough to even trust myself to buy through the auction system - I was referring to a car at a dealers in Basingstoke and I know that he got the car from Southampton Auctions.

Have a look and please let me know if any thing jumps out at you!!!

Supra GZ TT

nismo_lp I am definatley not brave enough to even trust myself to buy through the auction system - I was referring to a car at a dealers in Basingstoke and I know that he got the car from Southampton Auctions.

Supra GZ TT

Sorry... my bad, didnt read it properly, either way be careful as i said seen some nice cars going through but ive also seen some very bad ones. A proper trader should know bad from good and would hopefully not buy a car thats in bad condition. Remember theres no history at all with the car so you cant be overly sure on the millage as well. Always a few risks mate, the supra ive just brought ive never even seen :eek:

Supra GZ TT

get it cheked looks ok on pic price seems ok maybe little bit high for 93

dont worry nismo lp my guy said it was fine and u paid decent money am sure it will be awesome on of my fav supes i have imported :)

Im not worried mate! ... well maybe just a bit! I have faith in you, everyone ive spoken to that has delt with you in the past said that they have had no probs with their cars at all! only 3 weeks now :ecstatic:

Hows the RX-7 :eyebrows:

Theres a White 6 Speed TT going through on Tuesday 24th if any 1 happens to be near Southampton. Last time i saw a TT auctioned there (red 94 about 100000km) went for around £6k. So you could pick up a good deal, depends how many people are after it!

So what's the news on the car at Oakley Village then?

Don't leave us in suspense... :)

Well it turns out the car has got Auction Papers with it and it was a Grade 3 through HAA auction, which isn't great..... the car was very genuine although I am still not sure if it is the right one, there was quite a bit of evidence of paint work around the car, the salesman said they had the NSR quarter sprayed as there were parking dents all along it (I noticed this as the prep work before lacquer wasn't great) and strangely the whole roof section had been sprayed - not very well either with silicone spots and a lot of orange peel compared to the rest of the car.

That said the car drove beautifully as you would expect from a Supra and the salesman (David) could not have been more honest and accommodating if he had tried!

SOLD.

No, not to me, apparently somebody saw the car last weekend then returned today with the cash.

Like you said though, David was very pleasant and still took the time to stop and chat about possible future imports. He mentioned that he'd had the car for quite a while before anyone took any interest, then it seemed to be at least one enquiry a day for the last 2 weeks. Probably round about the time it started appearing on the boards. :)

I don't know if you noticed, but the bonnet was in a very poor state. The paint was very dull and shabby despite being recently polished. David said he's going to get it resprayed for the new owner - luck him...

Ah well, I'll keep looking. ;)

Cheers

ivan, the car was nice but by no means a great car - there were lots of little irritating things that in time you could do and obviously spend some hard earned cash on - but the car would still be scruffy at heart and who ever owned it before didn't look after it the way we would do, so lets both find cars that are deserved of our attention and care and keep them being great cars!

Good Luck with your search mate!!! it may take time but the right one will come along soon..... well that's what I'm telling myself!!!!

Guest 4StringMike

I dunno, I think its in good condition considering its 12 years old!

Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it!

Yes, it was me. I hope there arent any hard feelings.:innocent:

I noticed it in the trader a week or so ago and went to look at it last weekend.

The other cars I've been to see have either been complete nails or out of my price range, considering I want to do a straight swap for my MY01 scooby.

Good luck with the search guys :thumbs: