The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo problem

Guest WRC

i know that there is many topics about this stuff before, but didnt really see the answer anywhere else.

i have just been in London ,buyed a 93 j spec TT, and on the drive home i discovered that there was something wrong with the boost on the car. sometimes the second turbo doesnt kick in, but if i shout the throtle, and then floor it again, it kicks in. sometimes it the first turbo doesnt have any effect, but in the next gear its all ok again. What could this be??? i have no boost gauge on the car at this moment, but will install one in the next days.

Vebjorn

Norway

Boost gauge will obviously help to see whats going on.

Check the IC pipes and hoses first to see if anything has come loose. There are a few members including myself thats had similar problems - do a search on on 'turbo' and 'boost'

You need to see what the boost goes upto on each gear. Are there any gears that are fine?

What modifications do you have?

VSV's are quite often the culprit - You can put it into TTC mode, running both turbos together. If the are both working in TTC mode, then your VSV's need replacing. Failing that it could be fuelling or the boost pressure tanks is leaking. I'm sure someone more technical will come along with more useful info or to correct me!

This thread would have benefited to be in the technical section!

Cheers,

Ro

Boost gauge will obviously help to see whats going on.

Check the IC pipes and hoses first to see if anything has come loose. There are a few members including myself thats had similar problems - do a search on on 'turbo' and 'boost'

You need to see what the boost goes upto on each gear. Are there any gears that are fine?

What modifications do you have?

its seems like the problem is the same in every gears. somethimes it works fine, other times not. i tried starting from 1gear with no turbopull in that gear, but full boost on all other gears on the way up.

but then driving in 5gear, on normal speed, and then foot down, notting happens, foot away from the pedal and then on again,-full boost.

the car have full decat and big exhaust, apexi air filter,hks spark plugs, blitz blow off valve, and mines ecu.

is it possible to run both the turboes all time? how would this be, and what would be the bad thing about doing it?

:rtfm:

Have a look at the following links to get more of an idea. Yes both turbos can be run together and help with diagnostic. Some say the supe becomes a little quicker. I had it done but didn't like it as the car becomes much louder even when stationary! Not sure how you do it - you move some hoses and disconnect something! There is a guide somewhere on this forum but I can't find it. It's known as the 'TTC Mod' Good luck.

Ro

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=27904

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35926

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35925

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35924

its seems like the problem is the same in every gears. somethimes it works fine, other times not. i tried starting from 1gear with no turbopull in that gear, but full boost on all other gears on the way up.

but then driving in 5gear, on normal speed, and then foot down, notting happens, foot away from the pedal and then on again,-full boost.

the car have full decat and big exhaust, apexi air filter,hks spark plugs, blitz blow off valve, and mines ecu.

My car does this *occasionally*. Some people get it much more frequently. It is apparently some kind of actuator or something sticking.

Please throw your apexi air filter away as soon as possible and fit the proper Toyota filter :thumbs: