The mkiv Supra Owners Club

General Supra Maintenance

nismo_lp

My TT is due to arrive in the UK in about 3 weeks and ive only ever had a N/A.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend doing to keep the Supra in good running condition. Ie let the car run for 2 mins after journeys to let the turbos cool, change oil every so many miles etc. Any tips or knowledge from any of you wise Supra owners would be appreciated....Could even be helpful having a check list?

This threads' probably been done before? If anyone has a link, let me know! :thanks:

when the car arrives get the fluids changed as a minimum. Engine oil, gearbox oil and coolant as you just dont know whats been in there. Never thrash the car close to home otherwise even running it for 2 minutes after stopping wont be sufficient.

If you have upped the boost then change the oil at least every 6000 miles, some people change as often as 3000 miles so its worth tooling up to do the job yourself.

Also check the inner edges of the front tyres, turn the steering full lock to check. The outer edge can be fine but the inner edge could be bald and you wouldnt know. Dont assume as it passes SVA or MOT that its safe to drive on the road. And also check the make and speed rating on the tyres, theres some very cheap tyres out there which will be a nightmare in the wet.

Hope that helps.

JB

Lots of stuff about regular maintenence on here if you have a look using the search function.

Its also a good idea to consider getting the timing belt changed. The Supra has a non interference engine which means the even if the belt snaps then it shouldn't do any real physical damage, but a change does give you some piece of mind and a point to start from for future belt changes.

Guest KARacing
Thanks alot, i cant wait to get driveing it! Only 3 weeks now :ecstatic:

Please post some pictures once you get it. You will love the car so much ;)

the one about passing an MOT! be VERY cairfull! when i went to pick up my MR2 the guy told me that the sensor on the handbreak had broke so the handbreak warning light was stuck on! as i was only 17 and was a FOOL i belived him! got home my dad took it round the block, came home twated me accross the top of the head and toped my break fluid up! the guy had been driving the car for almost 6months with no break fluid! and it had a brand new MOT on it! so check the fluids and the pads and disks coz nothing, NOTHING is more important than the brakes! + be carefull with the tyres! after razzing the shit out of the car i.e. hitting almost 150mph on a down hill stretch of road (yes it needed to be down hill) i found my tyres were retreads and were rated at no more than 90mph! i should have died 100times over in that car!

anyway to get back on track! there are morrons out there that will fit almost anything as long as its cheep! be cairfull!

tricky

PS i have never tryed to match my down hill high speed run i have learned and calmed down behind the wheel! :)

Get familiar with how the engine bay should look, depending on any mods you know the car to have vs a standard supra. Some dealers rip bits off incoming cars to service other cars, especially nice mods.

Listen to her for at least a couple of minutes when she starts up, check for any smoke from the exhaust. Note any juddering in the drive, response of the steering and clutch, pitch changes in the engine (outside of progressive throttle movement) and roll in the suspension when you drive.

Oh - and search these forums for advice on specific questions you might have, these boyz and lasses have alot of knowledge and alot of it is already typed on these forums.

Guest KARacing
Will do, already have a few pics of it in Japan in the Vgarage but il post more once ive got it on the road! CANT WAIT! never even been in a TT Supra! :shrug:

You will love it :)