The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Opinion on 2 supras

mkirby

After getting rid of my supra as it had too many things that needed doing i am looking at getting a new toy/weapon :tongue: been dealing with julian at Japanese Direct Imports and he seems a good chap and knows what he;s talking about, i have been looking at some high power R32's and R33's but i am steering to another supra as they seem better value at the moment and he's told me to have a look at these 2, i prefer the silver one as it looks stunning but the red one is a higher spec so honest opinions please

Silver one

T88-34D turbo

Forged Pistons/Conrods

HKS F Con

720cc Injectors

Trust Intercooler

Etc

Red One

T88-34D Turbo

3.1 ltr

Trust Pistons/Trust Conrods

HKS F Con

850cc Injectors

Blitz Intercooler

etc

Both between 15 and 16k imported?

Mike

D1.jpg

D4.jpg

arz4.jpg

gt_tune2003-img600x451-1117283019arz2.jpg

I like silver... but wouldn't personally buy either due to the price tag and insurance costs. For this price I'd go GT-R VSpec :hide:

well i have been looking at a few but the problem with them is to get a really well sorted one your looking at 18+k or go for an R32 and given the choice i would rather have a supra.

I dint think 15k was bad for a car with that sort of spec!? i know i sold mine for alot cheaper but it was not as complete car as either of these.

Mike

I dint think 15k was bad for a car with that sort of spec!? i know i sold mine for alot cheaper but it was not as complete car as either of these.

Mike

I agree. If they are in fine condition then this is the kind of money that people seem to be asking for this sort of spec.

It's just in my eyes a lot of money for a ten year old car...and I get twitchy about the kind of people that drive these cars and how well they're looked after.

Silver one looks nicer, the red one looks horrible with that bumper and the orange indicators.

I'm just waiting for the remarks to come about red cars :yawn: , they look really nice when they're looked after and polished though.

Personally I wouldn't buy a modded car as you haven't got any idea if it's been thrashed!

For that sort of money you could get a really nice VVTI.

Yeh it needs clear indicators ;)

I was looking at a 1996 R33 with 700ish bhp, 6 speed seq box etc but with the SVA it would have cost about 3k to put back to standard to get through the model report or i suppose i could have garaged it up for a year :tongue: but your still looking at a 9 year old car!! obviously if money wasnt the object then its R34 time but i havnt got 30+k to spend :respekt:

I must admit the more i look at the silver one the more i want it :ecstatic:

http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m14617621

Looks in good nick as well

Mike

Silver, has to be! No brainer mate you know it.

What wheels are they I want them!!!!

Why has that red one got a 3.1 litre engine? (probably because the engine blew and had to be bored out?)

I agree :D and i think there volk split rims

The red one has oversized forged pistons, which if i was building a beast it would be the first thing i would have done to handle the increased boost.

Its also for sale for a HELL of a lot less there than £16k !!

1300000 Yens is like £6700!! And going by recent sales, it wont sell for much much more than that.........

I would personally be getting someone i know over there to buy it and do the work for a small fee, and have it sent over......or you could pay this Julian guy £10k for the privilege !! :thumbdown:

Know what i would be doing !! :looney:

Its been on the auction site before (silver one) and didnt make its reserve so yes it may be at 1.3m but unlikely to go for that but that price i quoted is at worse and i have had really good feedback about the import company!? but dont get me wrong i know what you mean as they could do a deal for alot less than they tell me? but i suppose that could be said for any imported car so its always gonna be a chance.

I hate car buying :)

You need to find someone in Japan to buy it for you and export it.

I know of one built by Garage Border that was a lot nicer than these two, similar mods and was imported into the country for £10k........its who you know sadly!

Very nice cars there though, i would be happy with either.

Prefer the Silver one. Veilside C1 side skirts, love that front bumper (not seen that before) but not too keen on the big wing.

Why has that red one got a 3.1 litre engine? (probably because the engine blew and had to be bored out?)
Would think that when he was building the engine fitted stroker kit for more low down torque.

Personally I wouldn't buy a modded car as you haven't got any idea if it's been thrashed!
Good point as there is loads of big power cars being imported at the moment. Most of these will have seen track action whilst in Japan.

Prefer the Silver one. Veilside C1 side skirts, love that front bumper (not seen that before) but not too keen on the big wing.

Would think that when he was building the engine fitted stroker kit for more low down torque.

Good point as there is loads of big power cars being imported at the moment. Most of these will have seen track action whilst in Japan.

Well lets face it any "tuned" car is going to be worked hard at some time i understand that and it will be worked hard if i got it but what i look for is how fresh is the engine, what parts are fitted, whos the work been done by and i think you can get an idea of what kind of life the cars lived then IMHO

Mike

T88 though....

Aren't they a bit old tech? (I don't know for sure, I seem to recall there's a lot better turbos about nowadays)

For that money maybe you could buy a newer, mechanically stock condition car and have it made into a monster, with a modern single turbo.

That's what I'd do anyway. YMMV

If it where me i would go with the red one. I don't mind red supras so it would not be to much of a problem, if you wanted, change the colour at a latter date.

The T88 is an laggy turbo, but it's also a well knowen and proven turbo for making big power. Stop talking about it and go and buy it.

:ecstatic: :nyah: You know you want it!!! :ecstatic:

..For that money maybe you could buy a newer, mechanically stock condition car and have it made into a monster, with a modern single turbo.

Ditto

Pay that sort of money for someone else's 10 year old abandoned project? I don't think so.

(I always see this sort of vehicles as abandoned projects --- nobody really knows what sort of horrors will emerge next week, what sort of bodges are hidden to make bits 'fit' together)

That badass airfilter on the silver one has filtering capability next to booger all. Valve seats, stem seals, pinston rings will all be due for replacement soon if it has run with that mesh for a year or two

...And what's with the missing cambelt cover? Is it a cool thing for a street car to get dirt and crap straight under the pulleys? Shows attention to detail ;)

...and the 'braided look' on the coolant hose?

...as for the 3.1lt wonder, my bet is that the original pistons went pop from all that tender love and care. When they had to rebore, did they verify that all the crank journals are OK etc? What about availability for pistons/rings? Will you need to sell a kidney for a set now, or will you need a new block (if, god forbid these pistons also have the same fate)

...and 'forged' as opposed to what? It's not as stock Supra pistons are made out of butter!

And if it detonates severely, no piston will stay unharmed anyway.

Don't be blinded by fancy wheels and F&F spoilers, it's easy to miss the real point.

I think that those cars are very overpiced, but then again I'm kinda 'picky' and a 'killjoy' :blahblah: ...

I know what your all saying and i agree to a certain extent and thats why i would want to know all the history on either car before opening the wallet.

With regards to the turbo TBH i know what a T88 feels like and yeh there a big old truck turbo but they are proven and lets face it how much would it cost to bang a GT42r turbo on there....about £1200 from the US but what i'm looking for is

Fueling

ECU

Internals

Cams

Suspension

Electronics

etc

etc

Ive been down the road of buying a standard car and spending £££££'s on tuning it and yes its very satisfying doing it but come on how much would it cost to buy a really nice 6 speed TT thats standard, fit a nice kit and wheels (maybe not the F&F spoiler ;) ) take the engine out and rebuild it, buy the a turbo kit, fit coilovers, fit a new ECU etc etc etc

I bet to get a car somewhere near either one you would have to spend a min of 8-10k on a decent starting example and spend 15k to get it to a "reliable" 700bhp car :thanks:

Mike

I prefere the silver one defin, maybe due to the fact i dont really like red ones but the silver one looks amazing!!! :ecstatic:

Definatly try and find out previous history if you can or really examine the engine, most jap cars iv come across have been completely thrashed!

SILVER ONE!!!!!

Right made up my mind, of course its got to be the silver one as i just love the way it looks, in fact i usually hate those nasty looking spoilers but it suits the car!? so just waiting now for an engineers report from japan and i have a load of questions i have asked which i want answering first and if i am happy then roll on 8 weeks (ish) :)

Cheers for all your opinions guys

Mike

Maybe the guy who did the red one had more money so its got the 3.1 kit on it. Alot of the really quick supras run this kit...

TBH the more info i get on the silver one the more i think that thats got a stroker kit on as its got topsecret pistons, conrods and crankshaft. Dont know how good their parts are but there one of the top tuners in the world :respekt:

The red one is the current jap national ammature drag champion car timed at 10.4 sec so its pretty quick :cool:

Mike

TBH the more info i get on the silver one the more i think that thats got a stroker kit on as its got topsecret pistons, conrods and crankshaft. Dont know how good their parts are but there one of the top tuners in the world :respekt:

The red one is the current jap national ammature drag champion car timed at 10.4 sec so its pretty quick :cool:

Mike

Good louck with it dude. Hope it works out.

Good louck with it dude. Hope it works out.

Cheers dude, so do i :eyebrows:

If theres anything i dont like about the car i will walk away, if one thing i have learnt in all my years of buying is that if you have a bad feeling then its not worth it and hit the road but fingers crossed and i should hear in the next few days if its a go'er or not then a bloody 9/10 week wait to get the thing and all the shows will be over :rolleyes:

Mike