The mkiv Supra Owners Club

newbie with a Supra question!

Tricky

hey everyone! i realy like the site!

i might be in the wrong part, i dunno if this classes as a FAQ.

i am intrested in buying a Supra TT hopefully around a 94 or a 95 model!

i have been doing a little research in to them but not much at the mo as i probs wont be buying it untill early next year now, however i went to a deelership who are mainly import but not exclusivly import and asked if they ever got any UK spec twin turbo supras in (i was intrested in a UK spec as i can get fully comp insurance on Eliphant.co.uk for £1000, where as an import is £2100) but to my suprise he told me that there is no such thing as a UK spec Twin Turbo! they only did the Twin Turbo for the Jap and American market.

i just wonderd if this was true??? it sounded like rubish but i wasnt sure! (this deelership always has Supras in, so he "should" know what he is talking about! hopefully by the time i have enough money to get one il be able to afford the £2100 so im not that worried about it if i have to get a Jap spec one but i would be happier with a UK one!

is this guy just trying to get my money??? i suspect so as he also told me that id be looking at around £12,995 for a good 1995 car! :s

thanks for your help

Tricky

thanks for the help!

i thought he was a bit dodgy! i have a mate who is a brain on cars, and he said they def. did do a TT, but hes got a Volvo T5 not a supra, so although i trust him he may have been mistaken! so who better to ask than you guys!

im working my way through the site its very intresting but more than an evenings read!

anyone know of any good insurers! im 22 and have only 1 years no claims! but i live in a good area, have no accidents, and have no points! elephant wants around £1K, for a UK spec car, im pritty sure thats amazing but you might know someone better! im paying almost £700 TPF+T at the mo on an MR2 so i was chuffed to here that price on a supra!

PS, is there many UK spec cars around??? in a perfect world i want a UK spec, TT, 6speed manual, aero top, in black but as this isnt a perfect world and they probs didnt even make that car id settle for a UK spec TT, 6 speed manual, in black or silver!

Thanks again everyone!

Tricky

so if i want a manual aerotop its gonna be left hand drive?? not to sure about that!

would you advise that i stick to my UK spec idea and try to get a manual or just stuff it and go for an import?? its looking more like the better option!

Depends if you're prepared to hold out. There are UK examples in the cars for sale section right now that you may like, ones low mileage a UK manual but it may be more than what you're thinking about spending.

If you want an import, your choice is going to be huge and a lot more varied.

iv just graduated from uni and im going to have the summer off to fix up my MR2 and get it looking nice, because im giving it to my little brother when i get my supra! im going on holiday and then getting a job at the beguinning of Sept. im going to save and save untill probs around march or april next year then get a loan to buy the car, and what ever i have saved up will go on a set of 20's and other mods! hopefully il have 6 or 7 K to spend on mods! thats the plan at the mo. anyway!

i dont realy want to spend £13K on the car alone but if i need to i need to! i was thinking about 8 or 9K for a nice car! judging by everything iv seen here tho i recon an import might be the way to go! iv had a look at the UK manual in the "for sale" section and its georgus! but probs way out of my price range esspecialy at the mo. and i cant see it still being for sale in a week never mind march next year! but iv PM'd him to ask anyway!

thanks for the advice!

Tricky

I didn't think the difference in insurance between the UK and JAP models was as much as that !

I'd def ring around if i was you. I've used Directline in the past and currently Adrian Flux but i wasn't a member of this forum at the time of renewing as i would have tried the official club insurer:-

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/

worth giving them a go.

I have a 94 manual Jap TT and yes it took me bloody ages to find a half decent one with reasonable mileage.

I've never driven or been in an auto so i can't judge but i've read that they are fantastic probably the best auto sports car ever (bold statement!) so i wouldn't rule them out until you've driven one. They are slightly cheaper as theres more about plus the GZ models come with the aerotop too ;)

You can ruin the handling a lot more cheaply by putting 19" wheels on. :D

20" is madness.

I've lost count of the new guys coming on here saying they're looking for a low mileage UK 6 speed TT in black for less than £10K. The usual answer is "Aren't we all"

They usually disappear again quite quickly or end up with a UK Auto in Red or an Import.

One other thing I don't think anyone's mentioned yet, Tricky. Give Sky Insurance a try for a Ins quote. I read on here that they often don't charge any extra for an import.

Anyway, good luck matey.

Edit: SupraSteve beat me to it on the Sky thing

:tortoise:

im giving my self a year to look!

im def. going to get one! iv had my MR2 4years now and i love it but i want more power and i want to stick with toyota! iv bounced form idea to idea for a car and iv settled on the supra!

definatly want 20's lol my mates supra is on 18's and they look tiny compaired to the car so i wanna make a statement! but il see what happens! i dont mind paying for the wheels thats a one off but i hate buying tyres! iv had a look on my mates web site japspeed.net they import all sorts but i dunno iv never delt with them profecionaly, and iv been ripped off by mates companys before! anyone delt with them or know anyone who has? im sure there good there only just starting out realy and there good lads!

il try that insurance site and see what they have to say! thanks for the tip!

i recon il go import after reading around theres no guarantee il find a good, black 6speed in the next year! iv got a mental image of what i want it to look like and its mad but factory looking at the same time, if that makes sence!

thanks for all the help and info everyone seems realy cool!

Tricky

definatly want 20's lol my mates supra is on 18's and they look tiny compaired to the car so i wanna make a statement!
Oh you'd be making a statement alright, don't worry about that.

It might not be the one you wanted to make though.

:D

anyone know of any good insurers! im 22 and have only 1 years no claims! but i live in a good area, have no accidents, and have no points! elephant wants around £1K, for a UK spec car, im pritty sure thats amazing but you might know someone better! im paying almost £700 TPF+T at the mo on an MR2 so i was chuffed to here that price on a supra!

PS, is there many UK spec cars around??? in a perfect world i want a UK spec, TT, 6speed manual, aero top, in black but as this isnt a perfect world and they probs didnt even make that car id settle for a UK spec TT, 6 speed manual, in black or silver!

Thanks again everyone!

Tricky

Hi and welcome, they only made 623 supra's in the uk so they are quite limited!!! i had the same problem when buying mine, £1000 for a UKTT or £1700 for a J-SPEC, im 23 with 6 years no claims and i tried loads of insurance companies, but elephant turned out to be the best..... i bought a j-spec in the end because they're more readily available in comparison to the uk version. It all depends on how much time and patience you have. Ensure you have a good look around, and don't impulse buy!!! Also as said above, have a good read up on this site, its got everything you need to know with a lot of knowledge from the members, you can't go wrong :cool:

lol well il see what happens! 20's look good on them but as you say it will destroy the handeling! i recently took the 17s off my mk1 MR2 and put the 14's back on and its much quicker even in a strait line never mind round the bends! so its a consideration that il have to think about! what wheels would you say i should go with?

Tricky

definatly want 20's

You're having a laugh, they're stupidly oversized and will ruin the suspension geometry and hanlding. If you never drive the car fast or want it as a show car then fine, but of you want a quick car then keep it to 17/18 (even 19) inch wheel and you life will be much safer ;)

Edited to add: (and I quote someone else here) Toyota didn't spend millions developing the suspension then stick on "undersize" 17 inch wheels

are they 17's as standard?? they look smaller! i dunno what im going to use it for! obviously want it to be fast i wouldnt be buying a supra so i might just stick to 18 and get some good suspention on it! and tyres will be more resonably priced! lol thanks for the heads up by the way ppl are reacting to the mention of 20's im guessing it wont get as much respect as i might have hoped! lol

what power's are resonably easy to get out of the Twin Turbo engine? iv seen everything from 280bhp to 1200bhp but when i first get it i dont wanna start ripping the block to bits to put in new pistons and rod and stuff, to take mega power plus il probs either kill it or myself going daft strait away!

so was just thinking of things like exhaust, air filter, chip, intercooler and stuff! then if that wasnt enough going for big power a couple of years later? what kinda power are yous running?

All this info is on the site already but I'll try and save you some time ;)

17's are not always standard on the jap cars, some come with 16's. Also forget about gaining respect, this isn't Grand Theft Auto' ;) :D (just joking mate)

Ignore the officially quoted power figures, the 280hp figure for the jap cars is down to the old gentleman’s agreement in Japan...

Stock Jspecs and UK cars put out around the same amount of power (300-340bhp dependant on condition), they have different characteristics but I won't go into that here...

Jap cars are easy to make some reasonable HP gains with - a decat and associated mods should see you into the 400bhp area (budget £1k for this, possibly another £400 if the car still has the stock back box). The UK's need a boost controller due to the better wastegate design so will cost you a few hundred more to get to the same power level.

Basic decat on a Jap car means replace the two cats with straight pipes, replace the back box with a good aftermarket system, uprated fuel pump, boost gauge, uprated plugs, Fuel cut defencer, KEEP THE STOCK AIRBOX and give the car a FULL service (inc new fuel filter)

After that things get considerably more expensive. The next big upgrade in HP comes with fitting a big single but you're easily looking at £6k to do this properly. However then you should be 500hp+ which will be seriously quick.

Once you into the 650+bhp area the cars are not really usable on a day to day basis.

Jap cars are easy to make some reasonable HP gains with - a decat and associated mods should see you into the 400bhp area (budget £1k for this, possibly another £400 if the car still has the stock back box). The UK's need a boost controller due to the better wastegate design so will cost you a few hundred more to get to the same power level.

But this is usually offset with the Jspec having to replace/upgrade fuel pumps, restrictor rings and injectors.

No Jap or UK car in totally stock condition outputs 340bhp.

But this is usually offset with the Jspec having to replace/upgrade fuel pumps, restrictor rings and injectors.

Thats true, you wouldn;t ned to swap the pump on the UK and the bigger injectors will help the fuelling once its been decatted. I was just trying to give Tricky some idea of what is involved with the basic upgrade path.

The BHP figure I was basing on the results we saw at the last couple of Miami-GT dyno days. There weren't many stock UK cars there but the standard jap ones were getting between 300 and 340 at the flywheel (The other cars there seemed to be giving 'realistic' figures so its probably not too far out. I think Class One had one of the highest figures for a stock Jap car. Again it was just to give Tricky an idea of the power from a stock and a midly modded car.