The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Remapping for 95 ron fuel

jot_ie

Didn't / Don't really want to ask this question, but is it possible to remap a 98 vvti supra ecu for 95 ron petrol.

The reason I ask is that there will not be any petrol above 95 ron available in ireland for the forseable future anyway.

I have a previous thread knocking about here somewhere.....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=39703&highlight=ron

Anyone thinking of bringing their pride and joy to Ireland for the hols take heed.

I have tried and tried and tried to source toluene here, but any time I have asked either paint suppliers or chemical suppliers, I have been treated like I am a criminal.............keep expecting the blue flashing lights outside the house .............

So......is it worth thinking of remapping.

What are the consequences, outlays involved.

John

A decent installation of water/methanol injection can go a long way to cover up for the octane deficiency mate.

Surely you can get pure methanol more easily in Ireland.

Octane boosters are nowhere near as effective as their manufacturers will let you believe. For starters, the octane 'points' they refer to are decimal (i.e. you need ten of them to go from 95 up to 96RON)

A decent installation of water/methanol injection can go a long way to cover up for the octane deficiency mate.

Surely you can get pure methanol more easily in Ireland.

You are going to have to explain that one a little more please.

Still in the early learning stages if the truth be known.

This is going to sound really stupid

Where does it get injected to.........

I will check out the methanol availability.

John

ooops, plunged you in the deep waters then ;)

Have a read here on a relevant page of my website

The water/methanol mix is (usually) injected in the intake mate, while under high boost, and it reduces the need for high octane under some conditions. In fact it makes it very difficult for detonation to occur.

It's a long subject, send me a PM if you're interested.