The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sidelights and HID etc

francis

Hi there

Just about to get a HID kit for the car, but I don't want the side lights to be too off the colour of the HID otherwise it'll look stupid. What bulbs does a UK Supra take for the dips/sidelights?

I'm also thinking going bi-xenon HID, does this just mean I have an extra set of ballasts for the high beams or are these special kits in themselves?

I'm also thinking of getting a front strut brace, is it worth it on it's own or should I really be looking at front and rear etc? Any ones in particular that you guys would recommend?

Cheers,

Francis

Bi-xenon as you know come on some Mercs and other cars, they're the whole headlight assembly.

They use one bulb and ballast per side, when you put the main beam on a mechanical flap will move inside the headlight unit to give you the main beam output.

On the Supra you could use 2 separate kits to give you dipped beam and main beam, but flashing the main beam on and off will drastically reduce their life as they aren't designed for this. ;)

Francis the bi-xenon bulbs wont fit the Supra AFAIK, these are for cars with bulbs that have high and low filament in a single bulb. If you buy a kit be very careful which you get, there is a lot of cheap crap on the market which are often worse than a normal bulb, some members on here have found this out to their cost. The cheaper brands can suffer from ballast failure, which means a complete new kit would be needed.

The whitest light is 4200K, I generally recommend 6500K as it gives a brighter very slightly blue hint which illuminates the road better at night. I tested a lot of different brands before deciding which was the best quality.

A good quality front strut brace helps a little on the front, Cusco, TRD and Greddy all make good quality braces, again there are a lot of cheaper brands available but you get what you pay for.

Francis the bi-xenon bulbs wont fit the Supra AFAIK, these are for cars with bulbs that have high and low filament in a single bulb.

You're right, they won't fit any other car neither because there's no such thing as a HID bi-xenon bulb. ;)

I have to disagree with the rating of the bulbs though Nic, the best illumination comes with the 4300K and as you go higher your illumanation will decrease.

But like Nic says there is a lot of crap stuff around, do some searching and buy a kit that uses ballasts that the car manfacturers use aswell.

You're right, they won't fit any other car neither because there's no such thing as a HID bi-xenon bulb. ;)

I have to disagree with the rating of the bulbs though Nic, the best illumination comes with the 4300K and as you go higher your illumanation will decrease.

But like Nic says there is a lot of crap stuff around, do some searching and buy a kit that uses ballasts that the car manfacturers use aswell.

4200k is supposed to give you the whitest light. I've tested a few different kits and the one I believe gave the best illumination at night was the 6500k, however this was a specific brand, so is not neccessarily true of other brands.