The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Panic...help

blert596

Guys, am off away tonight and am stuck at work till I leave apart from 30 min for lunch.

Problem is I've just done a quick check on the engine oil on my car and its only just on the dipstick. (been left for 2 hours).

Problem is, I need to shoot away asap and cant remember what oil was in it. We have a Halfords nearby that I can dive into, but what oil should I be looking for, and is it OK to just mix and match as Im unsure what was in there before. Although it was changed on last service with recommended stuff.

Any help really really appreciated.

Cheers

Billy

PS. dont know how its run down so much either but no sign of leaks.

Dont mean to sound out of order, but are you parked on a totally level ground?

I'm led to believe that it can alter a bit, dependent where the car is parked.

As for oil, dont want to make a suggestion and knacker your car!!!

Good luck

It's missing about a pint of oil...it's not going to blow up instantly...relax...

Don't just chuck in any old oil...I'd order some from Opie oils and get it delivered next day. Slikolene Pro S 10w 50 (2x 5L tubs)...also phone toyota and order a new filter....

Top the engine up with Pro S when it arrives and then get booked in at a garage as soon as is convenient and get all the oil flushed and replaced with the Pro S.

Keep the reciept for the oil and then you'll be able to refer back to it should you need to order more. But with the 2x 5L tubs (5.5L needed for a oil change) you'll have some spare for top ups should you be loosing any...

thanks guys,

the car is on level ground (even I'm not that daft....although I can understand you thinking that). Problem/worry I have is that as its only just registering on the dipstick, and Im doing about 300m tonight Im a bit worried about thrashing it down the Mways.

I cant wait for stuff to be delivered as I'm away all weekend.

I am booking it in for service next week, just worried about this weekend.

So you dont recommend getting a top up with a 10W 50 that local Halfords will have until the service?

Billy

Cheers guys,

halfords it is for some 10W 50 Fully synthetic, which will see me over the weekend.

Like I said I'll be trying to get it in for service next week so everything will be replaced then.

As an aside, what are the savings on supplying your own oil, filters etc on a normal service. Just generally like.

As an aside, what are the savings on supplying your own oil, filters etc on a normal service. Just generally like.

Well, £10 for a filter and £40 for the oil, maybe £15-£20 on a really good filter strap wrench and a drain tub as an initial outlay, assuming you have a few spanners and a couple of axle stands already.

Or as above, add 2 hours labour, and remove confidence in the job being done right and decent oil being used ;)

-Ian

I'd only use bog-standard oil for topping up, not synthetic.

The risk or various additives reacting together is always there, but less likely to happen with 'dyno' stuff.

Of course you'd want to drain the whole lot and replace with proper synthetic and new filter at the first opportunity!