The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dying Clutch?

Supragal

I was under the impression that clutches slipped when they were on their way out? Do they sometimes not? Symptoms I have are:

- Car pops out of gear sometimes, usually reverse

- Pull away with any force and the car lurches as it gets to biting point

- Squeels (presumably bearing) when biting point engages

- The second biting point engages the revs drop as the car moves away

- Very small biting point (if that makes sense)

- Clutch pedal is really stiff and creaky and lumpy

Thoughts please?

I was under the impression that clutches slipped when they were on their way out? Do they sometimes not? Symptoms I have are:

- Car pops out of gear sometimes, usually reverse

- Pull away with any force and the car lurches as it gets to biting point

- Squeels (presumably bearing) when biting point engages

- The second biting point engages the revs drop as the car moves away

- Very small biting point (if that makes sense)

- Clutch pedal is really stiff and creaky and lumpy

Thoughts please?

I think mine was on its way out but i get different symptoms to yours. Only in 3rd or 4th gear if driving along steady then foot on floor revs build to 4,000 rpm then due to 2nd turbo revs shoot round to 5,000 then i assume the clutch grips again revs go back to 4,500 then build up again.

doesn't happen when booting it from 1st gear onwards, just when cruising in 3rd or 4th !??!

Guys, if it was Supe related wouldn't you think that a) It's be in the Supra tech section and b) You'd have heard me going on about the fact it's back on the road. :p

Ian, yes of course it is. But I don't want to replace the clutch to find out it's the box, especially as they are reknown for box probs.

I still reckon its the clutch Rosie. The jump out of gear could be fork selector problem but seeing as you have clutch issues:D I'd bet on that. Cant be much for a new plate but by the sound of it you may need the flywheel skimmed. Bung Ian a fiver he will fit it for you:D

Judder on clutch engagement is usually the fingers on the clutch cover plate... they get fatigued with mileage and become sticky.

Clutches don't always slip - I had a complete failure of the clutch on my 200SX but then I was drifting it at the time and clutch kicking :looney: which shattered the friction material :ecstatic:

Cheers,

Brian.

sounds like the clutch, every shed, sorry rover i've had in with box/clutch problems has pretty much always been the diff thats gone, so you'd be hearing a humming noise when you drive it, and your symptoms sound like the clutch, bit of piss to do, so not to expensive..

• 2 weeks later...