The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How high do you rev??

SteveR

Just a quick straw poll;

1) Do you drive a NA/TT/Single turbo?

2) How high do you rev the engine before changing up during 'normal' driving?

3) As above but during 'spirited' driving/track driving/similar?

I'm curious, that's all. :)

Just a quick straw poll;

1) Do you drive a NA/TT/Single turbo?

2) How high do you rev the engine before changing up during 'normal' driving?

3) As above but during 'spirited' driving/track driving/similar?

I'm curious, that's all. :)

1) Jap TT 6sp

2) windows up aprox 2k-3k rpm, windows down a lot more :p

3) all the way as far as poss before rev limit - 7,200 rpm*

*Question for you drap strip experts is this the best/peak power or should i be changing earlier? My understanding is peak bhp my be about 6,500rpm but surely if you leave it longer when you change gear you'll be that much higher on the rpm on the next gear and hence keeping the power going. :shrug:

Guest Terry S
1) Jap TT 6sp

2) windows up aprox 2k-3k rpm, windows down a lot more :p

3) all the way as far as poss before rev limit - 7,200 rpm*

*Question for you drap strip experts is this the best/peak power or should i be changing earlier? My understanding is peak bhp my be about 6,500rpm but surely if you leave it longer when you change gear you'll be that much higher on the rpm on the next gear and hence keeping the power going. :shrug:

Probably change up at the end of your power band, and you should be in your power band in the next gear still ( dependant on choice of turbo), but you also need to weigh up the pro's of changing gear just before you cross the line, say from 4th

Probably change up at the end of your power band, and you should be in your power band in the next gear still ( dependant on choice of turbo), but you also need to weigh up the pro's of changing gear just before you cross the line, say from 4th

Ha ha cross the line in 5th ! in my dreams. the last time i went santa pods i did a 13.4 @ 106 mph running at 1 bar with both cats in. I've since decatted it so hoping may squeeze another 2-3 mph out of her but nowhere near 5th gear i'm affraid. :cry:

Change up between 2000 and 2500 for traffic driving, 3500 to 4000 for reasonable acceleration, 6000-6500 for hooning. Rev limiter is at 6850 hiss boo.

-Ian

do you have an auto, cos my 6sp hits rev limit well into the red about 7,200 -could my rev counter be incorrect ?

Guest Terry S
do you have an auto, cos my 6sp hits rev limit well into the red about 7,200 -could my rev counter be incorrect ?

yeah the stock one reads high

You been reading J-Tuner? ;) Check out my avatar lol

This is from datalogs off the E-Manage - the RPMs never go above 6850, they hit the limiter at that point.

I have to change into 5th, 4th tops out at 115mph :( I need a UK spec diff and a 7200rpm rev limit like the VVTi's :cry:

-Ian

You been reading J-Tuner? ;) Check out my avatar lol

This is from datalogs off the E-Manage - the RPMs never go above 6850, they hit the limiter at that point.

I have to change into 5th, 4th tops out at 115mph :( I need a UK spec diff and a 7200rpm rev limit like the VVTi's :cry:

-Ian

oh yeah I remember reading the thread about the miss print in the mag :p

Thats interesting you say that about the slip diff as i had a problem with the car a while back and when it was up on the ramps, the mechanic said the slip diff wasn't the standard Toyota one and was infact an after market one. I can defenately get more than 120 mph out of 4th and it defenately revs passed 7,000 rpm but the speedo and rev counter could be well out as Terry S said.

J-spec/manual/V161

2-3-500 normal

4-5500spirited

~6500 gunning it....though it's all a bit of a blur so I could be doing any RPM...

On the 1/4 I shouldn't need to shift into 5th thanks to the V161's longer 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. (5th is 1:1 like the V160 and 6th is slightly shorter giving a lower topspeed.)

1)TT

2)6K ish

3)I try to shift around 7K. As when I shift it drops me nicely into the high torque area, which I quite like. I have set my shift light to come on at different revs to take account of my reaction time. eg 1-2 shift light comes on about 5800. By the time I notice it and shift it's knocking on the door of 6800. 2nd is more like 6000, 3rd is more like 6300, 4th 6600, 5th and 6th light up at 7000. Rev limit is set to soft cut at 7200 and hard cut at 7500. I've had it soft cut in 6th, on me on the way back from the Nurburgring. :p

Hopefully by having the shift light progressively turn on later and later should stop me hit the rev limit in 1st,2nd and 3rd at Pod like I did when I went there last year.

1)TT

2)6K ish

3)I try to shift around 7K. As when I shift it drops me nicely into the high torque area, which I quite like. I have set my shift light to come on at different revs to take account of my reaction time. eg 1-2 shift light comes on about 5800. By the time I notice it and shift it's knocking on the door of 6800. 2nd is more like 6000, 3rd is more like 6300, 4th 6600, 5th and 6th light up at 7000. Rev limit is set to soft cut at 7200 and hard cut at 7500. I've had it soft cut in 6th, on me on the way back from the Nurburgring. :p

Hopefully by having the shift light progressively turn on later and later should stop me hit the rev limit in 1st,2nd and 3rd at Pod like I did when I went there last year.

christ 7,200 rpm in 6th what speed was you doing ?

christ 7,200 rpm in 6th what speed was you doing ?

Not as fast as you think. I've got a J-spec auto diff. The needle was a L-O-N-G way off the clock though (So more than 180), but it reads 20% high because of the auto diff gearing throws everything out.

Not as fast as you think. I've got a J-spec auto diff. The needle was a L-O-N-G way off the clock though (So more than 180), but it reads 20% high because of the auto diff gearing throws everything out.

one word......wow ! :respekt:

I bet you could see the fuel needle move off the clock as fast too :p