The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Teetering on getting a supra

Guest danthemanwhocan

Guest danthemanwhocan

Hi everyone, I joined about 2 minutes ago :)

I'm wanting to get a supra, and need a few clarifications before I take the plunge. Where better then here to hopefully get those...

It's this fella, which was on ebay last week...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4553260162&ssPageName=ADME:B:WN:UK:1

The seller is wanting to get a skyline gtr and needs to sell the supra to raise the funds. He intially, on asking, wanted £10500 for it. When the auciton ended and his reserve wasnt met, he contacted me asking if i was still interested. I told him i couldn't raise more then £9k. Well in between time, he'ed put a deposit on the skyline, which he told me, the seller wanted full payment within 14 days or it would be put back on the market.

He told he he'd put it on ebay for another week, but that if it didnt meet the reserve i could have it for £9k. The next morning, he mailed me again, saying, if I can pay him £9k, its mine.

Its 9k a good price? I know those Veilside wheels are worth a few bob, and the kit also. Its done 50000 miles and the engine is a standard TT. Its an auto, and has 6 months mot and tax approx. Cambelt was replaced 8 months ago, he changes the oil every 4 months and runs it only on optimax. He tells me he's had it checked buy a toyota dealer, and has a stamped certificate saying its in good condition mechanically. The body work, he quotes, is 'mint'.

Thats the background, now a few questions, which if anyone can honestly answer with their knowledge, i'd be very grateful.

1. Oil changes - how frequent and what oil is recommended.

2. Servicing - is it really expensive, or moderately, or what?

3. MPG - i know it's a performance car. What can I really expect from a tank of fuel (i do do a fair amount of miles). Whats a tank do?

4. How long do rear tyres last if its driven generally carefully?

5. Whats the best/cheapest insurer for a 24 year old?

6. Whats owning one like. Is it fairly relaxed, or is it a headache (i guess that depends if you buy a dog or not)

7. Are they really as reliable as people say?

I think that's it. Thanks in advance to all those helpful replies!! :thanks:

Dan.

The wheels alone are work around 3k!

They are reliable providing you dont get a dog like you say. 50k miles should provide you with MANY reliable and fast miles :)

25mpg is good with a TT, I 17 for about town / with some spirited driving.

Tyres, depends on how you drive and what compound you get. Can be anywhere from 5-14k miles.

Looks ok apart from that steering wheel. Go see the car in good weather and take your time looking over it. Get an HPI check done. If you know nothing about cars, an AA check too. There is a good post on buying a supra at: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23259

If you can, look at/drive several cars before you buy

1.at least every 5000 miles using good quality synthetic

2.reasonable, given its performance

3.depends how much you use the turbos LOL (15-20mpg)

4.if you want to drive carefully, buy a mondeo :tongue:

5.the club insurer, Sky is good, but it wont be cheap for you cheeky kids (being old rocks) :tongue:

6.they are great to own just get used to being looked at

7.If you get a good one they should be as reliable as any other toyoya