The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tyre pressure with aftermarket wheels etc

Bobbeh

Just sharing my experiences from this week.

I've got 10 inch wide Blizt 03's with 285 tyres. I have been trying to stick to stock recommended tyre pressures (36 psi) since owning the car, even with the new wheels on.

I have since found that running these at the rear at stock pressure has caused tyre wear in the center of the tyre.

I am now going to reduce this to 32 psi at the back and see how we go. I know a few people on this forum run this sort of pressure and lower at the back anyway for a bit of added grip at the rear. I am thinking 36 psi would be fine for stock wheels but circumstances change with wider tyres/wheels.

Just out of interest, has anyone else noticed different wear patterns since fitting wider wheels? :conf:

Colin, trying to run 34 - 36 at the fronts with 245's as my last ones wore fine at that PSI. However I'll keep an eye on these. I think they should be at least 32 as they have more weight to carry on a smaller tyre (than rears).

Alex, interesting that. I figured the faster you drive then the hotter they get, increase in PSI = egg shape = central tyre wear. Suprised to hear that even that low pressure hes getting the same results. Thanks for the input.

Yeah 32psi on the rear with 285 will be slightly better. I also had mine at 34psi on my 285's and also got excessive wear in the centre tread. Mine also now at 32psi.

However my fronts are still at 38psi to keep an even wear.

I find that anything less then 38psi on front 245's seems to wear the inside like a bugga... due to the camber setup.