The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which front bulbs for Supra

Getrag

Just going thru the same nightmare of getting a replacement bulb for dipped main on a JSpec. Forget Halfrauds as they are all (or all were where i went) UK spec. All the packets had been resealed so people had obviously bought them and then got refunds, i kid you not every bulb, dipped and main, was open.

Is there a straight replacement (HID Look) then for the Jap bulb, just dishing out £18.64 (thank you very bloody much Toyota) for standard.

When i was quoted that price i had to ask the guy if there were 2 in the pack, he just looked at my like i was some sort of idiot.:tumble:

Just going thru the same nightmare of getting a replacement bulb for dipped main on a JSpec. Forget Halfrauds as they are all (or all were where i went) UK spec. All the packets had been resealed so people had obviously bought them and then got refunds, i kid you not every bulb, dipped and main, was open.

Is there a straight replacement (HID Look) then for the Jap bulb, just dishing out £18.64 (thank you very bloody much Toyota) for standard.

When i was quoted that price i had to ask the guy if there were 2 in the pack, he just looked at my like i was some sort of idiot.:tumble:

The j-spec headlights should use: dip 9006J and high 9005J, which are not available in the UK AFAIK. You can see the difference between the J bulb and the normal 9005 and 9006 on the attached diagrams.

The 9005/HB3 will fit the J headlights dipped beam (9005 will fit dip and high beam), you may need to trim 2 small tabs on the part that fits on the harness connector, but this is very easy to do.

9005-9005J.jpeg

9006-9006J.jpeg

Cool, how much? So that replaces dipped lights only?

I got dipped and main beam bulbs, cant remember how much i paid, think it was about 40 quid (ish).......

Forgot to mention that ive got UK spec headlights though, although im sure Envy will sort you out with some better bulbs for J spec lenses :D

I got dipped and main beam bulbs, cant remember how much i paid, think it was about 40 quid (ish).......

Forgot to mention that ive got UK spec headlights though, although im sure Envy will sort you out with some better bulbs for J spec lenses :D

The UK glass headlights are a different bulb spec, they use dip - 9006/HB4 high - 9005/HB3

Soarers use 9005J for dip, and it's a total pain. 9005 need hacking about, and sometimes fail MOT because they don't have a "cap" and the light scatters above the cutoff.

Other than the 9005 option (and maybe ordering bulbs from Toyota -- don't know if anyone's ever tried), the only options we have are HID kits or (expensive but cheaper than HIDs) PIAA bulbs from the Soarer club shops.

Soarers use 9005J for dip, and it's a total pain. 9005 need hacking about, and sometimes fail MOT because they don't have a "cap" and the light scatters above the cutoff.

Other than the 9005 option (and maybe ordering bulbs from Toyota -- don't know if anyone's ever tried), the only options we have are HID kits or (expensive but cheaper than HIDs) PIAA bulbs from the Soarer club shops.

Even the HID kits from Japan that I know of don't come with a 9006J option, the ones I supply I get the 9005 bulbs which are a straight fit with not modifying required.

And make that £21.90 for the pleasure of the replacement.

Forgot VAT :swear:

But here is a surprise, got stopped by the fuzz last night. Was asked "Do you know why i have pulled you over sir", managed not to ask whether in the pull over pool if the Supra was double points but said because i have a bulb out to which the very nice female police officer said "Thats it sir, just as long as you are aware of it" and then she drove off. Nearly fell out of the car in shock!!

I just changed my bulbs got them from http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk they were cheep and came wtih next day delvery and free p&p. I got the ice blue i think, HB3, and at £13 a pair you cant go wrong, they hade the phillips ones too for £24 ish for the pair !!!

They were UK spec but all i did was heat an old screw driver and melted out the plastic clips in the inside and they slid on easy, took me 5 mins each bulb and its so much better now, can see where im going lol !! :respekt:

Cheers guys, good info. Noob question...you can replace them without removing the headlights yeah?

Yes on drivers side you'll need to remove airbox lid, on passenger side you may need to remove the battery depending how much space you've got, I was able to do mine with battery still in place.

I just changed my bulbs got them from http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk they were cheep and came wtih next day delvery and free p&p. I got the ice blue i think, HB3, and at £13 a pair you cant go wrong, they hade the phillips ones too for £24 ish for the pair !!!

They were UK spec but all i did was heat an old screw driver and melted out the plastic clips in the inside and they slid on easy, took me 5 mins each bulb and its so much better now, can see where im going lol !! :respekt:

Just wondered what they look like. I'm thinking of getting some. Is the 'blue effect' quite obvious? I've bought some like this from halfauds before (not for the sup though) and they didn't look any different to stock bulbs.