The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best tyres for 17" wheels?

IanK

Im after some new tyres to replace the jap rubber on my newly imported TT.

The wheels are 17" VR's:

http://www.laserlines.com/supra2/wheel.jpg

Currently fitted

Fronts: "Yokohama Avid S306" 235x45x17

Rear: "Extreme Drag" 275x40x17

Still a fair bit of tread on them but im not sure i trust them and would rather have some fresh rubber.

Problem is im finding it hard to find any decent tyres in a 275, only budget tyres and i really wanted the same tyre make all round.

I would like a fairly well ballanced all-rounder if possible as this car is my daily drive.

Any help on what tyres/sizes/places to get them, would be greatly appreciated.

I have 17in Goodyear F1 GS-D3 and they are quite simply amazing compared to the similar Jap rubber I had. They feel almost unstickable in the dry and very strong in the wet. Contact Ibrar for the cheapest source I could find.

Guest Terry S

John they appear better in the damp/wet that the P Zero Rossa I had before. Dry grip seems excellent too although I havent had them on a track properly yet.

Thanks for the help guys.

Think ill go for some F1's.

So is it 255x45x17's i need for the rear?

gonna have to leave the fronts till next month as ive just found out that my exaust has a big hole in it, both in the mid section and back box £££ :cry:

Terry, have you heard of those "Extreme Drag" tyres then?

Thanks for the warning.

Guest Terry S

Terry, have you heard of those "Extreme Drag" tyres then?

Thanks for the warning.

Not specifically but Drag tyres are generally a real no no in anything other than dry conditions. I have used DR's on the road and the aquaplane badly

Originally Posted by Jake

Goodyear F1 GS-D3 are highly recommended.

Jake,

any idea how they'd compare to Michelen Pilots?

In a word, no.

I've got a set of Michelin Pilots in my garage waiting to be fitted but I've never used them before. Sorry

Guest El Cid

I'm with those who recommend the Eagle F1 GS-D3s. :thumbs:

They are fantastic for daily use and the track. I autoX almost monthly and have taken them on the 2.9 mile circuit at Texas World Speedway. They never let me down. I started with the stock wheel sizes (235/45/17 and 255/40/17), but on the last round got wider rears (275/40/17) and was quite pleased.

FWIW, my laps at TX World Speedway... I had to ride in my car while an instructor drove the first couple to show me the line (I was brand new to road racing). I was amazed at his skills and the tires never hinted at giving up, despite me thinking he was about to ball up the car at every turn! :blink:

After we stopped so I could drive and he could naviguess I asked him how he liked the tires and he said he thought they were great. :)