The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Punto starting problem

ardasaliah

If car is left un-used for a while it becomes very difficult to start. Changed plugs -still the same.

The only way to get it to start is by spraying a little carb cleaner over the flap in the carburettor. It then starts 1st time.

The car would always start again and again if it were being used.

If however it is left for a while I would have to use the carb cleaner again

Any ideas

CHeers

The car does not have a carburettor, it is single point injection at least I presume it is if we are talking about an early model, pre 2000.

Take off the inlet trunking which fits on to the SPI unit, look inside,upon cranking the engine can you see (by looking into the SPI unit) fuel pulsating out of the SPI units main nozzle down into the inlet manifold? No fuel pulsating? The SPI unit can become magnatised over a period resulting in the unit not working. Disconnect the single multiplug that attaches to the inside of the SPI unit (2 wires, maybe 3 wires) leave off for a minute then reconnect, this allows the magnetism to dissappear.

Look inside the throttle butterfly and barrel assembly is it covered in sooty black carbon gunge?

If so clean with Carb Cleaner/rag/toothbrush don't go crazy with the Carb Cleaner though.

Crank Position Sensors on early cars can fail sending a weak signal to the ECU on cranking, sometimes removing them and cleaning can get them working, also just try disconnecting for a minute these too can become magnatised.

Electric fuel pump in the tank can also get lazy as they get old, try tapping the tank as you crank the engine.

You should hear the pump in the tank "prime" for 2 seconds when you turn on the ignition , it should then start buzzing again when you turn the key to the crank position.

Diagnosing faults over the w.w.w. is tricky to say the least.

£99 will get you Roadside and Homestart AA Cover , I find it's much easier to diagnose when the car is in front of me. :D

Call 0161 495 8888 tell them Fred I.D. Number 128755 sent you.

Hope this helps

do you think the filter may need replacing.?

Any other ideas.

Also runs rough on idle

does it get better when it warms up or is it rough all the time on idle?

and it aint got a carb i'm sure...single point looks like a carb but isn't. got any pics of engine? :clap: