The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Moving from a Scooby to a Supra soon!

Guest 4StringMike

Guest 4StringMike

Hi guys.

I've owned a MY01 Impreza WRX (bugeye) for the last 18 months and loved every minute of it. That is until lately, I've got sort of bored. :yawn:

I've been eyeing up Supra's for a while now, and a few days ago I went and had a test drive. WOW! I thought the Scooby was fast, but this is a different league!

One of the things about the Subaru is that towards the end of the rev range it starts to run out of puff (I guess this is down to it relying on one smallish turbo). The Supra on the other hand pulls like a train at almost any rpm. :D

So far I have only tried an auto Supra and I'm waiting on a test drive in a manual. Normally I wouldn't even consider an automatic car, but from what I can gather about Supra's the auto box is perfect for the car (I do agree after driving one) and people only seem to go for manuals for the extra driver involvement.

Aside form this is there anything else I should know/consider before buying? (It looks like I'll be going for a JDM import)

Cheers, Mike

I can't wait to own a Supra!!! :ecstatic:

Mike

I did exactly the same thing. Got rid of an MY02 only 3weeks ago for my supra and have not looked back, haven't even missed it once even though it was a lot newer. Power is effortly, where i had to work the scooby and it was pushing 290bhp.

You won't regret it one bit. Parts seem just as expensive, must be a Jap thing. Hope you find a nice one, I did, couple of rattles but they are easy fixes I hope

Simon

Guest 4StringMike

Cheers guys.

Scoboblio, I've read the FAQs already, there's a lot of useful stuff in there, thanks though!

Simon, is yours a manual or auto?

Dont you even miss the Scooby burble?!

The car I'm looking at is HERE Anybody had any dealings with this place?

I like the look of the car as it is pretty much standard (apart from wheels and exhaust I think)

Hi mate. That's my local garage :D where abouts are you from?? if you want me to take you out in my BPU+ sup i'd be more than happy. Have they still got the Black sup with the massive spoiler?? The garage was alright, nice bloke who runs it, but i found most of the cars (GTO'S FTO's) quite high mileage.

Guest 4StringMike

Thanks for the replies.

You guys are even more friendly than the Scooby lot!! :thumbs:

Do Supra drivers *ahem* wave at each other on the road aswell?!! :rolleyes:

Guest 4StringMike
Hi mate. That's my local garage :D where abouts are you from?? if you want me to take you out in my BPU+ sup i'd be more than happy. Have they still got the Black sup with the massive spoiler?? The garage was alright, nice bloke who runs it, but i found most of the cars (GTO'S FTO's) quite high mileage.

Hey mate, I live in Northwood. It'd be great to meet up with someone who knows Supra's thanks!

Yeah the black one with the bodykit and big mechano spoiler's still there, thats the manual one I'm waiting to test drive, though apparently it has a problem at the moment. I wouldn't want to buy it, just wanna try a manual out for size.

Guest 4StringMike
Let me know when you go see it and i'll pop up there with you and then take you out to see what you think.

Cheers mate. I'm next off work on Saturday so if they're open it'll be then hopefully.

Cheers guys.

Scoboblio, I've read the FAQs already, there's a lot of useful stuff in there, thanks though!

Simon, is yours a manual or auto?

Dont you even miss the Scooby burble?!

The car I'm looking at is HERE

Anybody had any dealings with this place?

I like the look of the car as it is pretty much standard (apart from wheels and exhaust I think)

get a full de-cat free flow exhaust and a single.....the Subaru burble will be non existent :) you wont miss the subaru sound again

Buddy, i've just sold a classic impreza turbo a week or so back. Picked up an N reg import turbo on saturday and loving every minute of it. You are right, they are in a different league! The impreza was such a rattly car that seemed to be made of plastic, a lot of fun yes, but the supra wins hands down on looks, power and that overall feeling when you drive it. Plus, everyone i've seen from 18 - 60 absolutely loves it!!

Would seriously recommend you do it...

Christian

Welcome to the site, Mike. :)

You can ignore most of the advice you received on that SN thread. ;)

A standard TT Supra is going to be considerably quicker than your lightly modded bugeye, and in my view it's not possible to make a valuable comparison between two such disparate vehicles.

Both have their good and bad points. My WRX Wagon is perfect for the daily commute and general work use, but it does become rather tiring on motorway runs. On the other hand, my TT is wholly unsuitable for work use, but it's an absolute joy on motorways, long runs (apart from the less supportive seats) and on sunny days when I get the roof off as well.

As a side note, although my Scoob is nowhere near the power of the TT it *feels* faster because the noise, hard suspension etc all combine to create the illusion of travelling fast. In the TT it's all so quiet and effortless that I often find myself going quicker than I thought (or in fact should be :D ).