The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cleaned j-spec lights

markrzs

Thought i'd just share with you guys what a little elbow grease can achieve.

All I used was the three stage Novus scratch remover, oh yeah and a painful burn on my thumb :swear: .

P.s the one on the left is the end result.

Can't seem to upload any pics yet, will soon though.:(

They look spot on mate , what did you use ?

well after taking them apart...that was scary, i used 3m finesse it, it a non silicone non amonia finishing compound, it removes all the cloudyness from the inside without smearing!!! then i waxed the shiney backing stuff and the big light reflector, then i reassembled them using 3m windscreen sealer so if i had to do it again it would come apart easy peasy...cos i'm thinking of going with the satin black look as my car is black..but was to scared to fukc it up and also the mrs said it would look shite and don't do it :swear:

did you put them in oven and open em up to get them that clean?

hot air gun cos the sealer will loosen before tha plastic starts to warp then just used a wide chisel and twisted them apart...not as bad as you think..i think a how to clean your j spec lights post is in order..i'll see what i can do..step by step stuff :p

Cool, cheers mate. Gonna give this a go next sat. Put my name down for a group buy of glass headlights but if i can get mine look respectable this way, might be able to put buying them off for a bit and save the money fo the impending move into new house.

hot air gun cos the sealer will loosen before tha plastic starts to warp then just used a wide chisel and twisted them apart...not as bad as you think..i think a how to clean your j spec lights post is in order..i'll see what i can do..step by step stuff :p

trust me getting them apart is easy but cleaning them to put back together is a pain in the arse...i used a philips screwdriver and heated up the gunk on the main part of the light..and dragged it threw..you do not need to make it completely clean just enough so the lense fits back with no resistence and use windscreen sealer its more forgiving than things like sikkaflex and you can get it off your hands and the lense easy enough :ecstatic:

I did my off side one the other day as it was failing.I put it in the oven, cleaned it, put it back together, then put silicone all the way around. Job done until I washed my car today and noticed it's failing again :thumbdown :swear: :complain:

Recon you would make a lot of us (me) happy with your "How To..." thread - would definitely sit proud in the FAQ section...

Outstanding job - they look the nuts...

only prob is it will be without piccys as the lights are back in and i aint taking them apart again...oh bollocks i'll take one out and photo it and put markers in to what to do.the least i can do for all the info i get on here....BTW where do i put the thread??????????