The mkiv Supra Owners Club

99 RON (tesco: every little helps)

JohnA

:ecstatic:

Just did around 250 miles on fresh 99RON juice from Tesco in Thurrock.

Felt normal on the way to the Pod, but coming back it was different.

Off boost, on-boost and in between.

Pulls better, my gut feeling is that the ECU increased advance and it FEELS GOOD :D

I cant say that it makes a drammatic difference, however 6p cheaper than optimax per ltr and definetely NO DEGRADATION in performance, but the assurance that it is 99RON which is as close as we can get today to 100RON from the pumps.

You can't compare optimax to this mate.

This has the British Standards label, 99RON

optimax has nothing, it only has to be 95RON.

I was quite surprised by the extent of the difference. (filled with BP SUL before).

I think that it needs at least a couple of hot restarts with some miles in between for the ECU to adapt to the new octane levels.

I'm a happy bunny, car runs smoothly and pulls stronger than before.

Might be worth resetting the ECU once you have a tank full of the 99ron, this will clear all saved info in the ECU and force it to adjust to new fuel.

It will still take a hundred miles (at least) to reach a decent level though, running suboptimally on the rich side in the meantime.

As JB says, it might even need a whole tankful, so maybe it's still got some way to go (whey heeeey! :ecstatic: )

Either way, the extra-RON effect won't be immediate.

You can't compare optimax to this mate.

This has the British Standards label, 99RON

optimax has nothing, it only has to be 95RON.

I was quite surprised by the extent of the difference. (filled with BP SUL before).

I think that it needs at least a couple of hot restarts with some miles in between for the ECU to adapt to the new octane levels.

I'm a happy bunny, car runs smoothly and pulls stronger than before.

ive been using it for 2 months now....

and yes, the ECU has been RESET. ;)

no drammatic difference, but a happy camper nevertheless :thanku:

Yes guys, please use those pumps. :help:

Go out of your way if you can ---- I can't imagine myself filling up anywhere else TBH

If there is not enough interest they may pull the plug on the project and we'd be left with crappy supermarket 95 junk (at least at Tesco it's labelled as 95RON, unlike Shell's shenanigans)

During the few times I've been there, I haven't seen anyone else using the 99RON pumps. :(

an email from tesco today,

99 Octane Super unleaded petrol unique to Tesco, this grade is now available in 12 stores around the South East.

It has a very high octane content and will benefit high performance vehicles.

Participating Stores

Bedford 1

Cheshunt Extra

Crawley Hazelwick

Gallions Reach Extra

Gillingham

Lakeside

Ramsgate Manston

Salisbury 2

Sandhurst

Sevenoaks Riverhead

Stevenage

Winchester

Doesnt help me in the midlands though :shrug:

There may be some truth in that, who knows. At least for some supermarkets (others get fuel straight from the very same trucks as 'normal' branded garages, depending on demand fluctuations)

The one time I lost an engine recently was at only 1 bar (exact same setup had seen 30psi peaks 3-4 months before!)

The only difference I could think of was fuel, I had just filled it up at Tesco (std crap), because I had a 5p off voucher and was in cheapskate mode. :(

Didn't really think it would make a difference using it on commuting at 1 bar max.

A puff of smoke said otherwise. :violin: It was even below the point of Water Injection activation, totally took me by surprise. :looney:

I'll always wonder whether the Tesco fuel was the culprit...