The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone know this VVTi? Should I buy it?

Pete

Hi Guys,

Just been to view this car tonight (200 mile round trip!)

It drove great. It's from Auto Centre (UK) Ltd near Nottingham - they seem like good guys.

Only worry points are:

1) oil was pretty black

2) service history not present, although apparently at the Mitsi garage still.

3) The front wings and bumper seem to have been resprayed, although I could find no evidence of damage. Odd they put orange indicators on - the slits are there for the facelift ones too!? It drove very straight.

4) Various other little dings and minor scratches which aren't really a problem and could be worked out.

5) Cloth seats

I followed the FAQ on the board and everything seemed ok there. Turbos pulled like a train etc.

Funny after market exhaust with a weird cross thing in the end. Unknown filter. Both would need to get changed along with those sideskirts - not my cuppa!

19" wheels are pretty scuffed and the rest of the car desperately needs some extra special care - like split plastic attachment bits, mucky engine bay - nothing that won't be fixed with a days grafting.

The centre cap is around.

Good points:

1) fairly low miles (62k)

2) LSD

3) Big brakes (They are aren't they?)

4) '97 VVTi

5) Tiptronic - not just normal auto.

6) Royal Saphire Pearl

7) JIC imported

Here's the really good bit - £10k

It's on hold for me until the morning for me to decide... so far I reckon yes...but I don't want to be blinded by desire. I've always wanted RSP VVTi with this spec.

What do YOU think?

Cheers,

Pete

HPIM0776 (Small).JPG

HPIM0777 (Small).JPG

HPIM0781 (Small).JPG

HPIM0780 (Small).JPG

HPIM0782 (Small).JPG

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lol, was this TT fast enough for you then mate??as i know you said you found a previous TT disappointing :)

The VVTi definately felt quicker than the non VVTi I had.

The traction warning light came on at 110 when I planted my foot to the floor! :read:

Car looks fine , just needs tidying up a little.

£10k is cheap, if they've got it advertised for that they'll surely take less aswell!

I'm not so sure. Lots of response plus the idiot dealer across the road from them said he'd buy it in a snap...so they know they've got something a bit special and advertised it too low.

Fronts are the bigger brakes, rears also from what I can see of the size of the discs. Looks like it's got non standrad suspension as it is sitting quite low.

The rear wheels look narrow.

I didn't check the size I must admit. Hard to tell from the pics.

The suspension had definately been changed as they'd buggered up the plastic panels in the boot :(

Don't suppose they're spare on the one your taking apart are they Nic?

I'm not so sure. Lots of response plus the idiot dealer across the road from them said he'd buy it in a snap...so they know they've got something a bit special and advertised it too low.

Don't see many this cheap!

Loads of cars have had the front end painted, just got my bumper done two weeks ago because of stone chips and a few scratches.

Nice to get a car with the UK brakes and facelift lights, not cheap fitting them later on if you haven't got them.The aerial on mine wouldn't go down neither when I bought it.

I saw one this colour a few weeks ago, it looked really nice! :)

I didn't check the size I must admit. Hard to tell from the pics.

The suspension had definately been changed as they'd buggered up the plastic panels in the boot :(

Don't suppose they're spare on the one your taking apart are they Nic?

No sorry it had a rear strut brace fitted, so the plastic trim was missing.

Looks cheap, but also looks like it needs quite a bit of tidying up. The main thing is whether it is mechanically sound.

The aerial on mine wouldn't go down neither when I bought it.

I think it is genuinely cheap (if that makes sense). The garage bought it from Mitsubishi Notts as a trade in car. I saw it on the trader site a month or so ago at more money. I'm guessing the person didn't get what they wanted and went the trade in route. This dealer picked it up, added his wanted profit but didn't realise what he'd got.

How did you fix the aerial?

Looks cheap, but also looks like it needs quite a bit of tidying up. The main thing is whether it is mechanically sound.

There were no odd clunks...steering seemed fine, did some sharp turns, PAS ok, brakes stomped on - seemed good. Intercooler a little bashed but would get upgraded eventually anyway.

Don't know why but the colour just looks wrong...must be the camera...trick of the light thing...I'm sure in person it's fine. Have a look at my pics in my garage to see what I mean.

The Orange non-facelift blobs are a bit worrying...why would they be put on instead?

Nice find - always get an RAC/AA inspection it can be a life saver.

PS PM me your budget ;)

Colour definitely doesn't look like RSP

Is that front bumper not a pre-facelift but with the facelift side repeaters fitted to it?

Wiht all the little signs of it not being too well cared for, I'd be wary. Have someone follow it up the road on a run. Make sure nothing nasty is coming out of the exhaust.

Price makes it look good though. Definitely worth considering.

Bumber is facelift...it's got the horizontal bar + those side repeaters...too much effort to have made a non-facelift bumper look like that and then fit the gei orange blobs.

Deffo worth the money if it's inspected first!