The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gran Turismo 4 drifting techniques

SupraStar 3000

I've seen a smart video from GT4 showing a Supra going around a track doing a fantastic drifting demonstration. (Think it was posted here)

No matter what I do and how I set-up the car it just isn't controllable and wont respond like it should do.

I'm not going to buy a wheel (My real car gets priority with pocket money) and appreciate I won't get the same without it,... but whats the ideal set-up for a drift car ie. wheels, weight, suspension, gear ratios, wet/dry track and best car to practice with?

Dunno about GT4 but in Forza I have a very nice Supra that drifts well.

Rear tyres nice and hard. Stiff rear suspension and lots of power and she slides like an old lady on an icy pavement!

Can do all of Tsukuba (except the two long straights) in a drifting stylee.

Yeah I know what you mean when you say it bleeding hard to drift the cars in GT4.... the game physics are all wrong when it comes to oversteer. Especially powered oversteer.

The game seems to mimmic understeer quite well but when it comes to the grip dynamics of the rear tyres it all goes to pot. (It does tend to do lift off oversteer quite well but then again when it comes to controlling that oversteer with power it's just not right).

Simple test to show how bad this is..... goto the driving centre and onto that open car-park coned square area and try to do a simple donut. Even with a strong LSD setting on a RWD powerful car it just will not do a controlled donut.

The car physics in GT3 were much better IMO... although grip levels were a bit unrealistic,... but at least the they got the general feel of oversteer pretty close to real life.

Whats the exact set-up and details please Oddball

Not much really. Just takes alot of practice. I use road tyres on rear, lower the car a bit(don't think it helps any) and turn off all driving aids. Oh and 750ish BHP also helps :eyebrows:

Supra1.JPG

Supra2.JPG

Supra.JPG