The mkiv Supra Owners Club

j-spec turbos

ADD

i took a j-spec soop out fri for a test drive and noticed a lot of whistling coming from the turbos, is this normal? also the diff has gone but is being replaced free of charge! could this cause me problems in the future? :complain:

it may just be the fact that this was the first j-spec iv been in and its completely normal. what about the diff breaking?

no its not a deep whistle, sounds more like when your taxing up a run way in a plane. if that makes any sense

This can be to do with the air intake...depending on which is in use.

For instance the stock box will leave the turbo's fairly quiet. But the Blitz LM Cone Filter is very noisey...and it's this that actually makes lots of the noise not the turbos.

ok thats great thanks all.....

if i was to take the original air box's off and put some direct air filters on, then make the bov atmospheric, then put a apexi cat back exhaust system on, would it increase the power by much?

Aftermarket airfilters wont really give u extra BHP in the MKIV's case. cuz it will suck in all the hot air from the engine bay.

No the atmospheric BOV wont give you any extra bhp either.

To get the maximum out of the J-spec you should run a decat exhaust system with a CW restrictor ring. this will raise your stock boost from about 11.5 psi to roughly 17-18 psi (and yes it will give u a significant performance increase) Do a search on "BPU"

You might also need an FCD to stop the fuel cut...

I needed one on my auto, but that was without a restrictor ring fitted.

( It's pretty obvious if you hit it ! )

You could replace the stock element with a replacement uprated panel filter, something like the apexi one for example... which gives a little more breathing, doesn't need replacing like a paper stock one, and keeps the cool air coming in from the normal route through the front vent :thumbs:

If you decat and add aftermarket exhaust, make sure you get a boost gauge mounted, either manual or electronic, to monitor the boost. Try to keep your boost around 1.0 bar if you care about the longevity of your Jspec ceramic turbos. Upgraded fuel pump and colder plugs are also recommended. Lots of information on this site about it. Do a search.

Of the 2 J-Specs I've had, they both sound rather loud - mainly noticable on the first turbo spool - from around 2500rpm upwards. You will hear them from inside the car without a stereo on.

I've also heard the infamous 'death whine' and thats not the polite 'jet engine' kinda noise you normally get - plus you get naff all above 4000rpm !

ATEOTD - if yer worried about it - leave it alone and find another.... they'll be one. You can always give the traders on here a shout :thumbs:

Steve.

Mine whistle basically if you use the throttle at all, over about 2500rpm. They're very noisy when spooling up but fairly quiet when running at full speed (presumably because by that time they're spinning so fast that it's beyond my hearing range).

How loud is the whistle when you're under full acceleration, say at about 4000-5000rpm?