The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What will I realistically get?

Guest Brum Man

Guest Brum Man

Hello everyone, first post so please go early.

Basically I am doing some research for my dad. He currently has a A reg mk1 Supra but is looking to replace it with a mk iv.

Have just been doing a little reading around about the different models, trim levels etc, Jspec vs. Uk spec and all the usual stuff. What I am wondering is what he should be expecting to get for what amount of money. He is looking at getting an older one, prob around 94 ish I think and has about 7k ish to spend (maybe bit more/bit less, haven't got a specific figure from him), and it HAS to be MANUAL (I know it is limiting, but he's not bothered at all as he doesn't need one now so can wait as long as need be for the right one to come up).

He hasn't really had a serious look as yet, but he wants to get to know everything before he starts. So, do you think he will be able to get a UK car for that amount of money or will they more than likely be jspec? (I know there isn't that much diff overall), and will he be looking at N/A cars or will there be TT's within that price bracket too? (BTW, insurance is not an issue as he is prob bit older than the usual Supra owner!)

I know there is a lot of information across the board, and I will continue to scour them, but would be nice if I could get some specific replys to my questions here :thumbs:

Cheers for any help,

Peter.

Hi Pete.

For a decent car think NA for that money in a manual form.

Tell him to try an auto though just to see...they're really the one best auto boxes out there. Many on here are converts (including myself)!

Good luck...

7K could get you a TT I think. But you will have a lot more choice if you are considering N/A's also.

I am by no means an expert on spec and all, but if time is not a big thing, maybe worth looking at some of the import guys on here web sites, or having a chat with them to see what they can get, as it sounds like insuring an import wont be a problem.

But I am sure someone else will have a much better idea on what your choices would be limited to...

Happy hunting...

Hi Peter and :welcome:

Chances are for that money he wont get much other than a '93 model with high miles and not great condition. If he wants a UK manual it's gonna be tough as it is as they are not very common.

Even if he looked for a JDM model you're probably looking at similar high mileage and possible problems.

If he budgeted up for around 10k you'd have much more choice and a better selection of cars with varied mileage and usually better spec and condition.

Autotrader is a good place to look and see what they're going for these days but tbh 7k isnt gonna get you much, especially a TT model thats not going to have problems.

Guest Brum Man

Ok, cheers RoGuE (and everyone else, written during replies!), he seems to think that there isn't much of a difference in the performance between N/A's and TT's (Although I'm sure there is but am yet to find and comparisons of the two 0-60's etc, but seeing as it's a ruddy heavy car I'm sure the turbo's must help quite a lot?)

What sort of money do think he needs to be looking at for a good TT manual?

I would love to get him to go and try and Auto box, but he is my dad and also very stubborn (and a little set in his way's if I dare say!), so I think that will be pretty much an impossibilty but I'll try!

The TT is in a different league to the NA, tbh its mostly show and less go with the NA, especially if he considers modifying the car. Dont get me wrong, its still a quick car and will hit 150 and 0-60 around 6.5 secs.

The Auto box is great, and definately worth trying as it'll open his market up massively :)

Guest Brum Man

I've just said to him go and try a turbo, expected answer!

So I take it he will be looking more towards 10k for a manual?

An example in the for sale and wanted secion:

"1993 Toyota Supra twin turbo 6 speed manual, approx 380bhp, black, 77,000 miles, Mines ECU, exhaust, full decat, 18” 5 spoke alloys, new front tyres, cambelt replaced, Blitz blow off valve, HKS spark plugs, Apexi air filter, strut brace, Bilstein shocks with Tein lowering springs, Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser, aircon, electric windows, excellent condition, £9500 NO OFFERS"

and thats got a modified car! I think you're more likely to get a better car for ~10k. Im sure you could track down the odd cheap TT6 but they may be problematic... then you'll be wanting more money on parts etc.

Pays your money , takes your chance etc - same with lots of things :)

Hi Peter

All UK cars are TT (93-96)

J spec cars can be either NA or TT (93-02)

Not that many manual cars around. If your dad wants a newer car with less miles it would be better to go for a NA J spec car.

Like Bobbeh says the NA is fairly quick but the TT is extremely quick, all depends what you want really. The TT can be more expensive if you need to replace turbo's and it's associated parts, both would cost about the same the to run.

Guest Brum Man

Yeh that's what he keeps going on about, the fact that if one of the tubo's goes it will be really expensive, but i keep saying how relaible they are (of course that is dependent on how new it is/well looked after it has been)

I really want him to get a TT one though, as like a lot of you say (not dissing the N/A owners on here), they seem to be a fair bit quicker. Of course I have no 1st hand experience of this and so I am going on what others are saying, but that seems to be the general concensus.

Had a bit of a look round on autotrader but TBH most of them look really ropey really highly/badly modded, that's what first bought me here as I though he woul prob be better off buying from an owners club.

I need to find out from him really what sort of performance he is after, and as this is his 3rd car (5th between him and my mum), not sure that he is going to want to spend that much to get a manual TT.

He's not overly bothered about a newer car with low milage as he tends to only use 2 of his cars at the weekend and in the summer, so he won't too many more miles on it.

Guest Brum Man

Ah, ok then!! After reading about all the different trim levels that they dreamt up seems like there is a lot of 'Toyota' terms that I need to become accustomed to! :eek: :D

1997 TOYOTA SUPRA 3.0 3dr Liftback,

Petrol, 40,000 miles, . White, air con, climate control, 6 speed manual, tax & MOT, excellent condition. £7,995 . NC.

Click

^^ I can almost guarantee you that will be a typo...... it is most likely a 5-speed N/A model.

Budget £10k+ for a nice car, auto or manual.... although with anything there is always the odd exception.

Cheers,

Brian.

Guest Brum Man

Yeh, I think that is what he is hoping for, an exception.

I think it also depends a bit on how much he can get for his Mk1 too, although he knows that is pretty much worth nothing.

Guest Brum Man

hehe, you a got a few of them then!

Not any pics at the mo, erm, it's dark blue, A reg, two owners , 2.8i, good condition (just slight bit of rust on boot sill), low milage for it's age (for any age actually!), etc......

Better not say too much, people will think I just came on here to plug a sale lol.

Guest Brum Man

ok will do. Well he's had it around 15 years with no probs so don't think it will blow up at least!

Ok, back to trying to get him to spend more money!