The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hello to all

Guest markCon

Guest markCon

I'm new to the board and I'm doing loads of researching around the threads.

I'm on the look out for a new car something with power, I started looking at the rx7's as I have a mazda at the moment.... but I am being strangly drawn to the supra.

This is a car that I'm unsure about. I have a fear of sinking 10 - 14K on a 8 - 10 year old car. It's a bit worrying really. I know all the advantages to the supra, but I need someone's advice who knows these cars really well.

From researching I know if I get one it's gotta be a twin turbo 6spd manual. but I also know I'm gonna have to pay a premium price and wait around.

The insurance is not a problem as the first quote I got was for less than a grand, in opposition to over 2 for an rx7. :littled: and i'm only 24 so that's a winner as by the time I get one i'll be 25.

Car's I've had in the past have been mk2 mr2 1998 vvti beams glimted (import), honda prelude 2.2 vti. I wrote off the mr2 and lost a fortune so I currently have a modified mx3 which I've lost interest in :thumbdown

So a big HELLO to all.

and if someone can point me in the right direction for which model would be best for me :thanks:

Hi and welcome to the board mate.

I can understand any reservations somebody might have on the age of the Supe. Some of my mates think spending 10k on a car 12 years old is ridiculous, and tbh on the surface of it spending that kind of money on a car that old is. I mean, how many other cars can still command that kind of money after all that time? Most 12 year old top of the range Mercs/BMW's which cost the same as the Supe new can be picked up for a round of drinks now.

But not all cars are the Supe and I found the sooner you forget about the age the better. Afterall, it's a Toyota and if it's been looked after it will last forever and a day!

You'll soon discover like I did it's the actual model of the Supe that dictates the price of the car, not it's age.

There's a mint K reg TT 6Spd on a fellow members site: whifbitz That's fetching £9.5k and in that colour with the bpu's as well it's well worth it. You could get a similar car to that a couple years newer for 1-2k less if it was an auto. You could spend quite a few grand less on a facelift model N/A on say a '97 plate.

Just decide on what it is you want and set about finding the best one of that spec you can find. As long as you buy sensibly you can rest assured you want be dropping thousands of £££'s when you come to sell.

Try to get a car that hasn't been modified engine wise and increasing boost etc, I would personally only buy one like this.

It depends who you buy it from IMO - some folk don't bother doing the right supporting mods, others are selling cars with the turbos on the verge of death.... some people have done the job properly and replaced most of the bits that are prone to failure before selling at a huge loss :scare:

Guest markCon

Firstly thanks for the warm welcome :D

My mazda at the moment is around 10 years old, so i appreciate how good a 10 year old car can be. Also the supe is ageless and in my opinion is better looking than alot of new car releases. Like you guy's have pointed out the supe's are a safe bet on resale.

I'm not in any rush to buy one either if it takes 12 to 18 months to get the right one then so be it and in all honesty that would suit me better as the last thing I need is another loan for a car I'm only just clear of my mr2 i wrote off 3 years ago. I'm gonna save and buy this one outright. I get a company car so the supe is purely for entertainment and will be kept in prestine condition, I don't push cars anymore as the 2 incident was a close escape. So thanks for the advice I will stick around if you don't mind and learn from the threads for when I get one.

I don't push cars anymore as the 2 incident was a close escape.

lies! why buy a supra TT if you don't push it :eyebrows:

I written off my first supra after 3 weeks of owner ship and now I am gaining confidence again, slowly.

I bought 2 supra TT now and both was with stock engine and body. some of the parts still fails now and again but don't get put off by car with up boost. Do hang around and learn more about all the modifications, pros and cons. I now had the car BPU and mod list is getting longer and longer. Sometimes I regert not getting a already modded supra from a known source here in the first place :complain:

the insurance is 1k less than RX-7 ?? please make sure they have not given you a quote on the MKIII instead of the MKIV which happens to me and a lot of others.

good luck

China

Guest Sakura
.... but I am being strangly drawn to the supra.

It must be because the Supra is magic! Look around you - the Supra is easily the most gorgeous car in its class, even at 10 years +. Keep looking and you will find the perfect Supra for you. :gallery:

:welcome: