The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fuel rant and octane boster question

jot_ie

Just back from the 4 hour petrol station tour of Dublin, having to put in 5 litres of 95 ron at a time, just to keep going

You see the irish government in their infinite capacity for stupidity and unswerving attempts to turn this country into a nanny state, have, in the past few years, actively discouraged the use of any fuel over 95 ron, by attaching an additional tax of 6 cent per litre on petrol with a higher rating.

My local Texaco station, and all other texaco stations in the country have stopped selling it and are discontinuing the supply.

All of the other fuel companies, to the best of my knowledge, have stopped selling high octane feuls over the past number of years.

I think I have just gotten the last 50 litres of 98 ron fuel in the country.

Just when I managed to get my new CW downpipe and trl vfcc fitted.

BTW, Many thanks to Chris W and to Tony Craven from thor, whose endless patience and willingness to help, got me sorted.

It seems like there will not be any petrol above 95 ron available here in ireland for the forseeable future, which brings me to my question.

Octane boosters, do they work?

Are they any good.

Do they harm the engine.

Whats the best kind?

Going to be a desperate situation here in the next week or so when my tank runs out.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

John

I would have though Toluene would be your cheapest and most reliable bet, a 10% mix. Waaay cheaper than snake oil octance boosters and you know it's pure stuff. Alas you aren't 'allowed' to use it as a fuel so say it is for paint thinning and hit back at the state lol ;)

-Ian

That sounds like a plan

How is it sold, or what industry supplies it

Does it have a brand name?

You would need a very big hammer to hit back at this state.

Wont be long before its known as the Irish "Reich". If our bungling idiot of a PM were to grow a little moustach and dye his hair black..............

blimey, I didn't know that Ireland has stopped selling 95+RON as a matter of government policy.

How thick are these politicians...(here in the UK included). Surely higher octane fuel means a more efficient burn and therefore less waste... hence better mpg ?!?

If this policy is being introduced as a step to being more 'green' then they are shooting themselves in the feet.

If this policy is being introduced as a step to being more 'green' then they are shooting themselves in the feet.

Personally I would prefer if they aimed a little higher up

I am not sure whether its official or un-official policy. But I do have an email from a pr manager from Shell in the UK.

Shell dont sell optimax here beacuse of the "active discouragement" and extortionist additional tax.

I must have visited roughly about 25 petrol stations today. 95 ron unleaded or diesel, thats your choice.

The government here have proven time and time again that they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

Now thats rich coming from Ireland

Anyway, how would a person go about getting a constant supply of this toluene?

Octane boosters, do they work?

Not really.

If you're lucky and use them in high concentrations (like several bottles per tankful) you might get what they claim on the tin: UP TO 3 octane points, or whatever.

Alas, even these are decimal points, so 95 will go up to 95.3 at best :(

Are they any good.

Yes, if you're selling them.

They help feed the family and pay the mortgage

Do they harm the engine.

Not really, they are in such low concentrations that they can neither harm nor benefit

Whats the best kind?

DIY stuff, if you can source and store it.

As IanC said, 10% toluene (or xylene) will really increase the octane level, by a few points (or tens of decimal points :eyebrows: )

And I wouldn't be too keen on 'Optimax' anyway, it is not guaranteed to be 98RON as the rumours have it --- not if it is not clearly labeled at the pumps.

but where do get these? cos (doc you can't just go into a store and buy plutonium) "marty mcfly" :thumbs:

Exactly, how in gods name would you go about sourcing these materials, that is without being arrested. You must remember that I live in Ireland, and people who dabble in chemicals would be treated with some suspicion, if you get my drift.............

John

I heard celulose paint thinners. Don't take my word for it tho... I'm stupid

i am a painter by trade so i will look at the cans at work tomorrow :tongue:

but i'm still interested in how you get them seperately to do the %mix, also is that mix ratio to a full tank or per gallon or what??? :drown:

• 1 month later...
Xylene is similar to toluene, but acts as a molecular binder, MTBE is an oxygenator with a very high MON rating as is IPA (isoproponal)

PM me if you need a supply.

What is the MON rating compared to the RON rating and isn`t IPA (isoproponal) used alot in cleaning products.

When servicing IT equipment such as printers etc tins of IPA are used by the bucket load, gives you a major headache if you drink it :read:

:respekt:

Don't know anything about MON and RON.

Just wanted to point out that IPA is isopropyl alcohol, also known as isopropanol, technically propan-2-ol. There's no such thing as isoproponal. You can't have an aldehyde (which is what the -al bit means) group at the carbon-2 position.

It's usually used for sterilising, cleaning or sometimes as a solvent.

gives you a major headache if you drink it

In really small quantities, I reckon it probably does!!

(Sorry, I've managed to refrain from geeky posts like this for ages, but the inner demon escaped for a few seconds. I'd better get back to taking the schizo pills.)