The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My new red UK 6spd TT & questions :)

francis

Hey there,

Well thought I might as well introduce myself and the new car. I managed to buy Nickyboy's red UK TT6, had it for three days now and loving it to bits! Pretty much standard apart from a Trust induction kit and HKS Superdragger and that's the way I intend to keep it for now, although a HID kit and clear front indicators are on the cards....and of course a decent stereo.

I had a Honda CRX VT before, which was and still is a fantastic car... a lot more go kart like than the Supra, but admittedly in a different league in terms of speed. The Supra's surprisingly quiet, but incredibly quick and handles like it's glued to the road. Can't believe how much attention it gets either, much rarer than Porsche's or Ferrari's around these parts too!

Anyway I've already posted my fair share of questions, but here are some more....

I've noticed that when I really floor it (pedal to the floor) it sometimes feels like it's trying to catch up and then the turbo suddenly starts kicking in... I've never had a turbo car before, is this turbo lag? When I take it a bit smoother, there isn't a let up in the acceleration... I guess my question is what's the best way to accelerate, and at what revs should I be changing gear?

I've noticed a few cars seem to have a splitter type thing on the bottom of the front bumper, is that the active spoiler? I thought mine had an active spoiler but I can't imagine that black plastic bit would come down....is mine missing?

The other thing is that around London I do a few short trips where the car doesn't really get pushed. Nick pointed out that I should leave the car to idle for a bit after driving, is this still necessary for very short trips? How long do you guys leave it idling, after say a motorway drive or a short trip around town?

I'm paying quite a bit extra on the insurance for the exhaust and induction kit, I was wondering how the Trust induction kit compares to others on the market? What's the best one to get, because if I'm paying a couple hundred a year extra for the mods I may as well get the most for my money! Alternatively I could put the stock filter back....but would this lose me a lot in performance?

Finally, since this is quite a big step up for me in terms of power, do you guys have any useful tips on driving the Supra that you've probably learnt from experience? The last thing I want to do is have a crash :scare:

Anyway that's about it for now... hope to come to a few of the meets & Santa Pod soon!

Cheers,

Francis

DSC_0709.JPG

DSC_0712.JPG

DSC_0721.JPG

i'm not the most technical person but i'll give it a go (using the Jake quoting system in homage to him bein on holiday :D )

Anyway I've already posted my fair share of questions, but here are some more....

I've noticed that when I really floor it (pedal to the floor) it sometimes feels like it's trying to catch up and then the turbo suddenly starts kicking in... I've never had a turbo car before, is this turbo lag?

Yep

When I take it a bit smoother, there isn't a let up in the acceleration... I guess my question is what's the best way to accelerate, and at what revs should I be changing gear?

not sure what you mean here mate, what do you mean by a "let up"? the 2nd turbo comes on boost at about 4000rpm, thats when you'll feel the main power surge

I've noticed a few cars seem to have a splitter type thing on the bottom of the front bumper, is that the active spoiler? I thought mine had an active spoiler but I can't imagine that black plastic bit would come down....is mine missing?

the active spoiler deploys around 60mph and stays down until you reach about 40mph. you can get it to come down when your parked by switching the ignition 2 steps to "ON" then press the active spoiler down button. should notice it then. when you turn the engine on it will come back up though.

The other thing is that around London I do a few short trips where the car doesn't really get pushed. Nick pointed out that I should leave the car to idle for a bit after driving, is this still necessary for very short trips? How long do you guys leave it idling, after say a motorway drive or a short trip around town?

it's hard to give an accurate answer for this mate. people usually say that it's better to drive the last few miles easy after a hard drive (rather than just bombin up and then letting it sit there as it can overheat too). after a slight period of town driving, i'll leave it about a minute tops, usually enough time to get my phone/wallet sorted etc. also an idea to give it a min or so before you start driving, then take it easy for the first few miles again so everything's up to temperature.

I'm paying quite a bit extra on the insurance for the exhaust and induction kit, I was wondering how the Trust induction kit compares to others on the market? What's the best one to get, because if I'm paying a couple hundred a year extra for the mods I may as well get the most for my money! Alternatively I could put the stock filter back....but would this lose me a lot in performance?

[/Quote]

the stock airbox is meant to be the best for performance (but not for bling). chances are the trust induction kit is losing you power already

Finally, since this is quite a big step up for me in terms of power, do you guys have any useful tips on driving the Supra that you've probably learnt from experience? The last thing I want to do is have a crash :scare:

[/Quote]

i was the same as you mate, the quickest car i'd driven before my supra was my 1.9TDi golf! best thing to do is take it very easy in the wet, no heavy acceleration of braking around corners. what tyres you runnin mate? best thing to do is to take the car on a track/driving course where it's safe to push the limits so you know how it handles and how to deal with it. i've had the back step out a few times while doing this (on deserted roads) so i'm a lot more comfortable pushing the car now.

hope this helps!

Nice lookin car you got mate, really is the dogs dangly bits these supras :D will look out for ya at the shows :thumbs:

VERY nice looking car, one of the shiniest I've seen! :respekt:

Yup, just to emphasise what Kopite's said, drive it smoothly in the wet and you'll be fine :) Don't push it at all until you've got a fair bit of experience with it... coming from a 2 litre mondeo I know how you feel, it takes a lot of getting used to!

Cue bloke off the fast show: "Driving a Supra in the wet is very much like making love to a beautiful woman......"

Hey there,

Well thought I might as well introduce myself and the new car. I managed to buy Nickyboy's red UK TT6, had it for three days now and loving it to bits! Pretty much standard apart from a Trust induction kit and HKS Superdragger and that's the way I intend to keep it for now, although a HID kit and clear front indicators are on the cards....and of course a decent stereo.

:welcome: Very nice looking car :thumbs:

If you are looking for an HID kit and indicators, drop me a pm, I've sourced quite a lot for members from here in Hong Kong, at good prices.

I had a Honda CRX VT before, which was and still is a fantastic car... a lot more go kart like than the Supra, but admittedly in a different league in terms of speed.

My car before the Supra was also a CRX (mk2), I've owned 2 of them, great little cars and as you say, very go kart like.

I've noticed that when I really floor it (pedal to the floor) it sometimes feels like it's trying to catch up and then the turbo suddenly starts kicking in... I've never had a turbo car before, is this turbo lag?

Difficult to say from your description, need to know more details, such as rpm, what it feels like it is doing, engine sound, etc.

When I take it a bit smoother, there isn't a let up in the acceleration... I guess my question is what's the best way to accelerate, and at what revs should I be changing gear?

Driving a turbo car is very different to driving an NA, if you are wanting to drive fast, you need to keep the rpms up, so you are always on boost. The manual allows you to drop down a gear, so you can keep over 4k rpm and both turbos are on line, so you get maximum power.

Not sure if the UK spec cars came with active spoiler or not, if you do have an active spoiler, you will have 2 buttons on the dash underneath the stereo. You can only manually deploy the spoiler when parked, with the ignition on, but with the engine not running.

Fit a turbo timer, this can be set to keep the engine ticking over for a few minutes after turning the ignition off. If you are just pootling around town, then you're not going to be using the turbos much, so temps will not be very high, so you should be okay without leaving it to tick over. Other driving, where you are using the turbos, then you really need to give them at least a couple of minutes to cool down.

Stick the pod filter on ebay and fit a standard airbox instead. You will see an increase in performance, due to cold air feed and it will be much better at filtering, which will decrease engine wear.

Take it easy to start with, especially in the wet, get to learn when the 2nd turbo comes on line, as this can really catch you out if you are corning and it suddenly kicks in. The stock traction control is cr*p, many members fit Race Logic Traction Control (RLTC), which is extremely good at keeping the tyres from slipping. As Ro said, the best place to practice and learn the limits of your car is on a track day.

Have fun :D

Ooh - it's the sister of my car! Did it ever have a number plate ending in 'UJH'?

Anyway, just echoing what the others say. That does sound like turbo lag - UK's suffer it more than J-spec, so if you drove a J-spec and it felt more responsive, that's why - there's probably nothing wrong with your car, it's just how it is.

Put that standard airfilter and box back on - it's the best filter for the car.

Get Racelogic Traction control - lets you use all of the car all of the time, and is single-handedly the best mod you can get IMO.

lastly - welcome! :)

Hi nice car looks very similar to my car. RED UK spec -Auto

In London too.

I was thinking about getting a super dragger- what’s the clearance like? Also how would you describe the sound? I am looking for a growl on half/full throttle like a porsch but a very quite burble on idle. Not stupid boy racer sounds that you often hear on nova's etc.

ARDZ

Drager is ok, but if it were my choice, I'd get an RSR. I find clearance is pretty crappy, thanks to the huge backbox, which is forever catching on things. Plus, it's not stainless - I believe the RSR is. RSR sounds much nicer too.

Also, hello :)

it's hard to give an accurate answer for this mate. people usually say that it's better to drive the last few miles easy after a hard drive (rather than just bombin up and then letting it sit there as it can overheat too). after a slight period of town driving, i'll leave it about a minute tops, usually enough time to get my phone/wallet sorted etc. also an idea to give it a min or so before you start driving, then take it easy for the first few miles again so everything's up to temperature.

After town driving I don't leave mine to idle at all - what's the point, the 1st turbo has hardly had a thrashing, and the second one hasn't done sod all! There's all this talk about leaving it idling as this leads to higher inlet temperatues as well (yep, that's a technical answer, so my usual 'I am not a technical person' get-out-clause applies).

As for leaving it for a minute before driving off, I just don't get this. Everyone gets in a car and drives it straight off and has done for decades - surely cars are designed to be driven like this without damaging anything?

There's a bit in the owner's manual about how long the turbos need to cool down after a drive (someone posted it on here a while back, gawd knows in what thread though) - I wonder if there's anything about letting the car sit for a while before driving off.

the reason i leave it about a min tops is just to get a few fluids running about but i mainly do this while im gettin some music on or fixing my make up :D think the Toyota manual says for short town driving you don;t have to let it cool but after a hard drive you do.

the reason i leave it about a min tops is just to get a few fluids running about...

There's a smutty joke there somewhere, but I just can't quite distill it down...

Yep, definitely after hard driving you need to let the babies cool down (I enter a 30mph zone about 2 miles from my house so I tend to use that as my cool down time). As for town driving, anyone with an auto can perfect the art of not using any turbos at all - I can do my entire journey to work without using either and still keep up with the traffic flow :)

that quote applies to my personal life too :D min tops there definately! :D

yeah i try and use my drive back to my estate as coolin off time BUT if anyones seen the road leading to my estate, its a bit too temptin to plant your foot down it :tempted: