The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JEM garage in north london

Robert

ok guys, well i took my car up to JEM i hendon on monday to get my tyres changed and MOT,i went there yesterday to pick up the car but it wasent ready i had a quick look at the car and everything was ok until i asked for them to deliver the car back to my house as i as at university all day today and if they didnt drop it back today then i would have to wait until tuesday to collect it. So fine i agreed for them to drive me car back, my girlfriend paid them over the telephone and i thought this was the end of it............. the car is dropped back at my place at 1pm this afternoon, my girlfriend calls " someones damaged the bonnet" so i rush home and discover that the bloke who had done the MOT must have opened the bonnet at some stage and my ab-flug bonnet has bonnet pins and on both sides the fibreglass is cracked, the clown must have pushed the actual bonnet pins down on both sides really hard and cracked the bonnet, also there is a big paint crack going from one side to the other, i called them up and im going down there tomorrow to sort this out and after my last performance with the bodyshop that put my bodykit on they will be some trouble if they try to blame me. On the 'other' forum its says they are expert with the MKIV and blah blah blah, also they work on other jap cars, which surprises me that they dont know how to close a fibreglass bonnet with bonnet pins :swear:

we will see what they say tomorrow.......

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok guys a quick update, ive just come from JEM and i spoke to the owner garry, hes a really nice guy and we had a good chat. i have one problem though, it seems as though the damage around my bonnet pins on my fibre-glass ab-flug bonnet was caused by heat form the engine and turbos so garry tells me. Around both pins the part mounted on the bonnet has sunk down and this has caused a large amount of paint cracks all over the two areas. i just wanted peoples opinion on their experience with fibre-glass bonnet and heat?

to be honest i thought and still do think that the bonnet was pressed down to hard on the bonnet pins and thats what caused the damaged but im not expert on bodykits and bodyparts but if it was heat then why only affect around the pins and not right above the turbos? please people i need some advise..... was it the engine heat that caused damage to the bonnet or someone pushing too hard? has there ever been a case of heat melting the fibre-glass?

its a long story paul, the car originally went in there for an MOT and a few other things, when they delivered the car back to me i find quite large paint cracks and the areas around the bonnets pins are sunk into the bonnet, i will post pics up later but garry from JEM said that the heat from the engine and turbos caused the damage, the car is back there but it doesnt seem like they will accept it was their fault and all i can suggest is a new bonnet but all they wanna do is re spray it.

Is the damage confined to the area around the bonnet pins as if it was a heat issue surely the whole bonnnet would do the same thing wouldn't it ? :shrug:

the damage is only around both pins, thats what i would have thought :tumble:

What a load of bollx!

Bonnet pins are at the front of the engine bay, infront of the rad. So, how the f*** can heat from the turbo's and engine do any damage to them!?! Go out for a nice long thrash in your car, come back and see how hot the area round the bonnet pins is, my betting is that it will be amost stone cold!

He's talking crap, comple and utter..... CRAP!

sorry guys i deleted them off the digital camera to take pics at my girlfriend birthday.... i will take some tomorrow when i go back down there, to be honest i dunno what im gonna do, i dont see why i should pay for a new bonnet i have driven that car at 100mph with that ab-flug kit on and the wind hasent done anything to the bonnet so i dont see how this could have caused it..... unless they went faster

Do the 'test drive and check how hot the area round the pins is' test already suggested. If it's stone cold, go down there and let them feel how cold it is (leave the thing running so it doesn't cool off at all).

At that point I think they'll have to admit fault.

But... stay polite. Be firm, but don't get into a slanging match.

You have a fairly strong case, in my humble non-lawyer opinion.

A supplier (of a service) is under an obligation to take reasonable care of your possessions while they are under their control. The amount of care they need to take is determined to some extent by their claimed level of competence. As JEM have clearly advertised themselves to be Supra experts, I would imagine that a court will think they are fully responsible for any damage caused to the car whilst it was under their care.

They have already admitted that the damage happened while the car was under their care (if I have read you correctly). So, their defence will have to be that the damage was caused by circumstances beyond their control (i.e. the part was defective or improperly maintained). If they continue to argue this line, my suggestion is that you hire an independent mechanic with Supra experience to give his expert opinion.

Should your claim prove successful, you will be entitled to:

Claim the cost of the inspection back from JEM

Claim the cost of the repair (alternatively they may offer to repair it themselves)

Claim for compensation (e.g. a hire car if your car is undriveable or if to drive it might damage it further)

If JEM refuse to meet the above then you are at liberty to take them to court. Should that happen, you can also claim your legal fees.

Obviously the whole thing is dependent on the opinion of the expert(s) involved and the actual cause of the damage. I should stress that I am not an expert on fibreglass bonnets and am making no assertion one way or the other.

If the expert finds that the damage did occur as they suggested then you will be left with a bust bonnet and a mechanic's bill, and if you're really lucky, your and their legal costs as well.

So, my advice would be to get the pictures, listen to the opinions voiced by our more experienced residents, and then act as your heart and wallet suggest.

I hope, though, that this can all be sorted out amicably between you and JEM before anything gets too serious. Legal action should be your last resort.

thaks for that mate, very interesting to read, im collecting the car tomorrow as ive been too busy today im going down there early, i have pics and various winesses that can say the day before they took the car last week the bonnet was fine and when it was returned it cracked all over the place, as soon as i get some pics i wil post them. i have a few people who will give their expert opinion on the damage and how it was possibly caused. keep you guys posted how things develope